PTO lever stuck

Mikeyt

Member
Can't get it to engage. I took off plate under seat on left side. Cannot move the internal rod forward or backward. Everything else works fine. PTO and lift works find when I can get it engaged. Problem has been getting worse but I could always manage to get the lever to engage.

1951 8N funk conversion w Sherman hi/lo tranny.
 
I am guessing that the end PTO shaft may be twisted. That happens when running a bruch/rotary cutter. Park the front of the tractor down hill, remove the four bolts holding the PTO bearing on the rear & see if you can pull it out to check.
 
Say How much of a hill does it need to be on. I need to replace pto seal. I assume the down hill angle will keep from having to drain the fluid. Is that correct
 
PTO shaft is probably twisted. One of the things that happens when too much HP is applied to parts made to withstand about 25 HP

If you try to pull it don't try too hard. It is possible to ruin the pump if you do.

I would recommend that you just take a long steel shaft drift and hammer the sliding coupling forward to engage the PTO and leave it engaged. Otherwise the PTO shaft will have to be cut into in front of the pump. Have to remvoe the top cover to do it.

Zane
 
Thanks Zane. How would you get a drift in there to hammer on it? Also, if the pto shaft has to be cut, how would you cut it? With a acetylene cutting torch?
 
Put the drift against the slot where the PTO shifter fork goes and knock that coupling forward.

That will put it back in gear.

I have cut then with an acetylene torch but to tell you the truth I can't remember how I did it. It's been years.

I read that it can be cut with a saws all with a metal cutting blace.

Look in the archives for twisted PTO shaft. There should be some good tips there.

Zane
 
PTO shaft would not come out. It was leaking pretty bad so I"m going to replace it and maybe the hyd pump. Got a local shop here that knows how to do it. I don"t have the shop here to do the job. My shop is 500 miles south.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top