pump repair

I have a Meyers water pump with an internal crack. Can this be repaired with a product similiar to stopleak, This crack is on the suction chamber and not on the pressure side. New casting is $700.
Mike
 
You should be able to use a two part epoxy like JB Weld, Devcon, or something along that line. I know we used Devcon all the time in the Navy for repairs to pump housings, piping, etc where there was no other alternative. I know the Devcon is good but in my experience JB Weld is just as good for something like this and is also alot easier to get as well as cheaper. The thing to do is to prep it like you would a weld repair and V the crack out somewhat and roughen the surface around it so the epoxy has somewhere to flow into and so it'll have a better bite on the material. Do this and your pump should be good to go.
 
I did it with jb weld on the suction side of a 25hp sanitary lift pump many years ago. It lasted several years and we replaced the station before the valute failed.
 
Not much to lose if it doesn't work. Your options are limited but the JB weld approach would be my first choice. If that doesn't hold you can try brazing as a last resort (I am assuming this to be cast iron).

This must be one heck of a pump if the cast housing is $700.00
 
I have a large pump that supplies water to all my plastic presses. I have replaced the casting twice in thirty two years. What happens to this pimp is the hard water washes out the pump to where it is thin and then water will start squirt out the casting. The first time it happened and a new pump was a week out I cleaned the inside and used fiber glass fibers and resin to fill the thin areas and feathered it out as far as I could. With a new casting in the pump room it was not changed for over ten years.
 
There are a lot of Meyers pumps out there. The last time ours broke we were able to find a used part for a lot less $$ than a new one.
 
Do you have a model # I am a Myers pump dist. I could at least check and see if the $700.00 is correct, if you want
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top