I'm in sc ksI feel alot of it has to do with local climate and fuel quality. Since many on here don't have a location listed maybe the folks saying they have no trouble come from a drier part of the country. So, where are you located?
I'm in sc ksI feel alot of it has to do with local climate and fuel quality. Since many on here don't have a location listed maybe the folks saying they have no trouble come from a drier part of the country. So, where are you located?
Fuel tanks have been sealed and have had charcoal canisters since the 1970’s .I learned something new the other day. Years ago gas was formulated with anti-evaporation additives to help keep the gas from evaporating so much. Now, since all gas vehicles have a closed fuel system (not open to the atmosphere) they don’t use said additives. The additives in question is what caused the varnish that that used to cause so much trouble with engines sitting.
I’ve got a generator that will sit for months on end without starting. Whenever I put it up I’ll add Sta-bil to the gas, turn off the fuel, and let it run until it dies. When I need it again months later, it will always fire right up with 2-3 pulls of the rope.
Yes, but I don’t think they took said additives out of the fuel until fairly recent (last 15 years or so). I know you don’t get the varnish in carbs like you used to.Fuel tanks have been sealed and have had charcoal canisters since the 1970’s .
Direct injection does away with low evaporation problems in cold weather .
“Yesterday’s” tractors from decades ago didn’t have those sealed tanks. Most of the problems that those of us here deal with are on vented tanks.Yes, but I don’t think they took said additives out of the fuel until fairly recent (last 15 years or so). I know you don’t get the varnish in carbs like you used to.
What is REC fuel?I am putting the generator away after its use in the recent outage here in Michigan. The house power stayed on so it's the one at the farm. I have a small electric pump that I use to pump all the regular fuel out of the tank. I then refill with some REC fuel, run the generator a bit and shut of the fuel and let it run until it quits. This has worked well for me. When the power went out at the farm the generator had not been started in a year, and it started on the first pull.
Some gas stations have a separate gas pump set away from the "normal" pumps. Those pumps are used to sell non-ethanol gas (at a much higher price!).What is REC fuel?
I don't see where you are reading about people having problems. What I read is a lot of posts about what guys are doing that works well for them. Looks like a lot of good PM to me.Recently acquired a gas welder that had set for at least 5 years.
Gas in the tank
Valve open
Jump started it an cranked about 2 revolutions and fired up ran fine.
I honestly don't know why everyone has such a problem.
I have never done anything special an have never had a issue
The topic is small, usually portable generators . Operated mostly in a standby application .Is that, again, sarcasm Show Dude? Perhaps you may learn to convey a most basic thought without same. At least try to be somewhat correct. Just a wee bit. Most of the generators I worked with ran (minimum) 2/3 's of the time, around the clock, and not less that 300 days a year.
Good idea, also reduces the tension on a valve spring(s) by not being held open for months at a time .After it quits, pull on the starter cord until you can feel it's on the compression stroke. That ensures both valves are closed and much less likely to get stuck open.
Fair pointI don't see where you are reading about people having problems. What I read is a lot of posts about what guys are doing that works well for them. Looks like a lot of good PM to me.
that has worked for me!Some gas stations have a separate gas pump set away from the "normal" pumps. Those pumps are used to sell non-ethanol gas (at a much higher price!).
Much of that is used in recreational vehicles. Boats, ATV's, Tractors, Chain Saws, etc.
HTH
Keith
Probably sing a new tune after wrestling with newer diesels with DEF, carbon traps, low carbon fuels,etc.I( don't know. I just kill them when gone and put inside. Pull them out the next season and go to work. Those gas engines are such a fussy temperamental junk pile. I like my diesels and I have never had a problem with pumps being stuck yet. Some of ours set more than they run. The Stiegers set from end of planting till the start of the next other than to rearrange things for winter. The smaller ones run more hours and some year around. Still no problems with them. Those dasterly carberators and all just need so much fussing and points plugs and wires. Missing farting and all. The smaller they are the worse they are too. The H is pretty good about not being a problem with running. Would love to have a small diesel on dad's tiller in place of that foolish gas engine.
That's what glider kits are for!Probably sing a new tune after wrestling with newer diesels with DEF, carbon traps, low carbon fuels,etc.
Can you buy a glider kit anymore?That's what glider kits are for!
Maybe I did read awhile ago that you couldn't, but I did see recently where someone was taking a wrecked truck with enough good parts and putting an older motor and transmission into it. I assumed that it was to avoid emissions laws.Can you buy a glider kit anymore?
Mine always starts on the second pull after setting, sometimes over 3 years.Anyone ever run L.P.G. in a generator, how well do they start after being run then setting for a long time?
We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.
Copyright © 1997-2025 Yesterday's Tractor Co.
All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.
Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters
Website Accessibility Policy