Question about head gasket replacement on a MF 135 with Perkins 3cly gas.

MacCabin375

New User
I have a 1970 MF 135 with a 3cyl gas Perkins motor that we use on a hay rake and some orchard work. I am replacing the head gasket and the shop manual says to "coat both sides of the head gasket with a non hardening sealant" I am no mechanic by any means but I have replaced a few head gaskets, and I have never seen a manual call for adding sealant to a head gasket. What would be a good sealant to use. I assume RTV for high heat parts. What do you all use? Thank You!

I will X3 on copper coat, I have seen a few call for sealant, did a yanmar in a JD 850 a few years ago and it had very specific instruction to use part number blah blah (turned out to be Ultra Grey silicone), it even had a diagram where to place your bead and gave a width and height for the bead.

I have a 1970 MF 135 with a 3cyl gas Perkins motor that we use on a hay rake and some orchard work. I am replacing the head gasket and the shop manual says to "coat both sides of the head gasket with a non hardening sealant" I am no mechanic by any means but I have replaced a few head gaskets, and I have never seen a manual call for adding sealant to a head gasket. What would be a good sealant to use. I assume RTV for high heat parts. What do you all use? Thank You!
As said, Coppercoat. it comes in spray on, and brush on. The spray is better for head gaskets. hang it on a wire where overspray is OK. Just before assembling the head to block, spray a single coat on both sides (full, coverage but not running off) let it dry 80% then recoat and dry to 50% tacky. assemble. then torque in stages. warm up then retorque and adjust valves. Jim

Use the K-W Copper Coat spray on head gaskets Spray on two light coats, let get tacky.. For around the gasket port where the oil for the rocker arms goes up, smear on some no-1 Permatex on both sides of the gasket.. Will not leak any oil for you. Be sure to warm up engine and retorque. That will make the head-gasket seal..

If the gasket looks like it's already coated, I'd install as is. Make SURE the hardware is retorqued when hot, or it won't hold for long. I've never coated any head gasket, install dry and do the retorque, reset the valves and done. The MF dealer I worked for years ago The Perkins gaskets usually said top front, and fit dry stamped on the gasket.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back