Question for Billy Shafer or other Generator Gurus

Gene Davis (Ga.)

Billy, could an Onan ATS 125 transfer switch be made to work with another brand of generator correctly? If so what would be necessary to complete the arrangement? Gene Davis Tennille. Ga.

The thing that really matters is. What start system it has. All Onan water cooled units use B+-RMT. The air cooled units use B+-1-2-3. Then you have to match the systems. Single phase or three phase.

1-903-536-2816 anytime.

Billy, thanks for answering. The switch has provisions for wiring a 2 wire start or 3 wire start so that it could be used with air or water cooled units. It's setup for 220-1 phase current and has also the battery float charging unit in it.

What Billy is trying to tell you is that the GENERATOR has to have the appropriate start input. The generator has to have provisions for a closed contact to start; i.e. like a light switch. If the generator is a Generac, it will not operate properly, if at all. Most Kohlers only need an on/off switch to work. Billy can tell you definitively if you tell him what generator you are trying to get to work with the Onan ATS. He knows a lot about most brands out there. zuhnc

Thanks zuhnc.
Yes knowing what the unit is will help. Get a better answer on
any item. As for Generac I would stay away from them. I have 40 years
of knowing why.

I was trying to get prepared to answer question from buyers if I could sell it as I did not use the switch when I installed my ES-20 Onan at my house because it was not large enough to use with my entrance panel which was 200 amp and the switch was a 125 amp rated switch. I already had a 200 amp manual switch in the line for my older 8 Kw Winco unit so I just used the one already in place. It only takes about 2 minutes to do the change over. Thanks for all You people's help anyway. Gene Davis

I never did understand that 200 amp rule. You have to have a 200 amp service system. Even if your house does not need it.

I forgot to add. The ES is a very fine unit to have. One thing you need to watch out for. Dirt wasp love to build nest around the belt. They are like bricks and do cause the engine to jump time. You may not have a problem where you live. But if you do I would run it at least twice a month. To keep the nest from forming.

Billy,zuhnc, don't worry I do not have a Genajunk as Bill likes to call them. I have read enough bad things about them and their lack of support and all the things people have had to put up with and man have been junked for lack of parts and service. I like the ES-20 Onan unit I have and don't have any desire to change from it. A local electric contractor has been selling a lot of the Generac units mainly because of the prices I suspect. We have not had any real bad power outages around here lately so most have not got any hours on them consequently. I will just continue with my Onan and laugh if when the Generacs give problems there seems to be no repair parts or people around here.
Who wound up owning Briggs & Stratton after the bankruptcy sell off?

Gene Davis Tennille, Ga.

The last I knew. Briggs&Stratton is now owned by KPS. An Equity firm that buys a company in trouble.

As I said. The only real problem I have had with the ES. It is a very good unit. But wasp love to buils nest around the belt. We called it the Pinto engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back