Questions about converting to a key start instead of button

It appears my push-button switch on my 1955 Ford 860 is not making a good ground, and I'm avoiding the task of taking the top of the transmission to replace it. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ignition switch that the Master Parts Catalog shows:
8N-3679-C Lock & Wire Assy. - Ignition (With 2 Keys) only has "off" and "on" positions. I'm wanting a "start" position as well. Shouldn't it be as easy as taking the wire going to the push-button switch up to the "start" terminal on the new switch? Is there anything I'm missing here?

Also, can anyone recommend a good universal key switch with keys for what I'm wanting to do?

Thanks for the help.

(quoted from post at 16:59:18 01/27/21) It appears my push-button switch on my 1955 Ford 860 is not making a good ground, and I'm avoiding the task of taking the top of the transmission to replace it. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the ignition switch that the Master Parts Catalog shows:
8N-3679-C Lock & Wire Assy. - Ignition (With 2 Keys) only has "off" and "on" positions. I'm wanting a "start" position as well. Shouldn't it be as easy as taking the wire going to the push-button switch up to the "start" terminal on the new switch? Is there anything I'm missing here?

Also, can anyone recommend a good universal key switch with keys for what I'm wanting to do?

Thanks for the help.
ord designed that start switch for your safety. Key start switches wiil output a voltage in 'start', not ground.

The original start button completes the path to ground from the solenoid which always has +6 or +12 volts when the key is in the run position. A key switch with a "start" position supplies hot (+6 or +12 volts) to it's start terminal when it is in the start position, which the solenoid already has. You would need a different solenoid and rewire things completely differently to get a key switch with a start position to start that tractor. It would be easier to disconnect the wire going to the start button on the trans and install a momentary contact push button switch to provide the path to ground from the solenoid.

Removing the trans cover and replacing the switch is probably one of the easier repairs to these tractors. Buy a cover gasket and new switch (don't forget the switch gasket). Should take less than an hour.

Wow, I'm glad I asked before I just went and did it. Not sure what would have happened; I suppose I could have burned something up. Thanks for the knowledge.

Both my Jubilee and 651 were converted to 12 volt neg ground alternators before I bought them. The jubilee has a separate push button start and the 651 has a start position on the key switch. Neither is a problem as I always check for neutral and push the clutch when starting. I am the only one that operates them.

(quoted from post at 13:27:34 01/30/21) Both my Jubilee and 651 were converted to 12 volt neg ground alternators before I bought them. The jubilee has a separate push button start and the 651 has a start position on the key switch. Neither is a problem as I always check for neutral and push the clutch when starting. I am the only one that operates them.
omeone on the forum once described tow-starting his tractor, all alone, by chaining his truck to tractor, setting truck throttle, & when both moving, jump out of truck , run & climb onto tractor, in gear for start, & when running, use brakes to stall truck. Mission accomplished and "completely unharmed". Safety above all else!

(quoted from post at 11:50:11 01/30/21)
(quoted from post at 13:27:34 01/30/21) Both my Jubilee and 651 were converted to 12 volt neg ground alternators before I bought them. The jubilee has a separate push button start and the 651 has a start position on the key switch. Neither is a problem as I always check for neutral and push the clutch when starting. I am the only one that operates them.
omeone on the forum once described tow-starting his tractor, all alone, by chaining his truck to tractor, setting truck throttle, & when both moving, jump out of truck , run & climb onto tractor, in gear for start, & when running, use brakes to stall truck. Mission accomplished and "completely unharmed". Safety above all else!

I ain't quite that quick and nimble. Afraid I would end up on the ground watching the truck and tractor running into the side of the house-after being run over by the tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back