Questions on 4600su

I went to look at a 4600su diesel w/ 3,600 hrs last night but I'm not sure one two things.

1. The rear tires are really wide, and push the total width out to mover 7.5 ft. There not in super condition so thinking I could replace them with some thinner wheels if need be. Is it hard to find rims/wheels or are they somewhat interchangeable? if the rim size is the same?

2. The motor sounded really nice but clutch felt softer than the only other tractor I've had, which is a 860 that I know had a clutch replaced. Something to be concerned about or do these things just need adjustment?

The current owner has said he hasn't had any major repairs in the 15 years he's owned it. I don't know much at all about tractors and honestly, I don't really know anyone else around here that does either!
 

The wheels can be adjusted to narrow up the overall width if it has the standard rear tires, 14.9-28
The clutch pedals are easier to operate than the older models because the pedal is longer to the pivot point giving more leverage with less effort.
I have the older model 4000SU as well as the larger AP model, I went thru the AP model 20 years ago and don't expect to do any major work to it for some time, it may out last me.
The rear thread with on my 4000SU is adjusted to less than 6 ft.
 
Thank you for the input. The wheels that are on it are 16.9-24.

(quoted from post at 08:07:11 04/01/19)
The wheels can be adjusted to narrow up the overall width if it has the standard rear tires, 14.9-28
The clutch pedals are easier to operate than the older models because the pedal is longer to the pivot point giving more leverage with less effort.
I have the older model 4000SU as well as the larger AP model, I went thru the AP model 20 years ago and don't expect to do any major work to it for some time, it may out last me.
The rear thread with on my 4000SU is adjusted to less than 6 ft.
 
Looking at the pictures I have, it appears as if the rim could be adjusted in, or even if it can't, the wheels could be flipped so more of the axle fits inside the tire. Tires would have to be swapped from side to side too, obviously.


(quoted from post at 11:53:16 04/01/19) 16.9x24 was an option for those.
They are very common on the 4000
industrial models.
Most have 14.9x28s tho.
 
If the centers bolt to the rims, then the width can be adjusted by changing things around. The Owner's Manual should show how the various combinations of the center being dished in or out and the rim loops bolted to the inside or outside of the center loops as well as reversing the rims can give you up to 8 different track widths, possibly less if the fenders might interfere with one or more of the narrowest tracks.
 
On the clutch thing, put the tranny in a midrange gear and set the rpms to 1500. Lock the brakes and let the clutch out. If the engine dies/or tries to
before you push the clutch back in, you are good to go. Just because you have a softly sprung clutch doesn't mean it's defective. All my newer tractors,
even the two I bought new, have softly sprung clutches and my left knee is thankful. Worst I had was a MF 35D....sold it just because the springs were
too hard on my knee.....harder to push than my 100 hp JDs.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top