Radiator leaking Ford jubilee

Leaking Radiator what the difference from taking it to a local shop for over haul or buy one from Amazon or a tractor wharehouse. The prices all over the board from $260. To $ 380 and none come with plug or a cap. Or can get the parts mounting bolts and bumper pad from local part store. What is the difference. I use tractor on a small 8 acre. Gardening and some bush hogging nothing major. Please share your experience

Thanks
Ok Jubilee
 
Solution
When considering, the radiator shop would only provide a staggered core "car" type radiator , not an industrial hd core... This means you can NOT easily clean out the chaff and dirt. AND the radiator shop wanted more... than a replacement radiator from a&i... who sold "Clancy" from Ireland, radiators that were oem quality HD industrial radiators. But that was then and here,,, not there and now.
Leaking Radiator what the difference from taking it to a local shop for over haul or buy one from Amazon or a tractor wharehouse. The prices all over the board from $260. To $ 380 and none come with plug or a cap. Or can get the parts mounting bolts and bumper pad from local part store. What is the difference. I use tractor on a small 8 acre. Gardening and some bush hogging nothing major. Please share your experience

Thanks
Ok Jubilee
You can buy a radiator right off of this site:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks John P but are there a different radiators depending where you get them Amazon has the cheaper price just not sure where to purchase from

Thanks
 
Upvote 0
When considering, the radiator shop would only provide a staggered core "car" type radiator , not an industrial hd core... This means you can NOT easily clean out the chaff and dirt. AND the radiator shop wanted more... than a replacement radiator from a&i... who sold "Clancy" from Ireland, radiators that were oem quality HD industrial radiators. But that was then and here,,, not there and now.
 
Upvote 0
Solution
I bought the restoration quality radiator.
 
Upvote 0
Leaking Radiator what the difference from taking it to a local shop for over haul or buy one from Amazon or a tractor wharehouse. The prices all over the board from $260. To $ 380 and none come with plug or a cap. Or can get the parts mounting bolts and bumper pad from local part store. What is the difference. I use tractor on a small 8 acre. Gardening and some bush hogging nothing major. Please share your experience

Thanks
Ok Jubilee
Where is it leaking?
And do you believe it to be the original or at least thirty years old?

I just had a local one man garage repair my original 1957 JD 420 rad.
Upper tank to core seam was leaking. The rest of rad was straight and solid, no leaks.
For a grand total of $90, he took upper and lower tanks off the core, rodded the core out, cleaned the gunk and minerals built up on the end plates and tanks (inside).
Cleaned it and resoldered the old tanks back on.
Plus painted it with a $20 can of spray bomb JD green.

If your rad is older, it is likely built better than what you can buy today.

They know that 99% of owners of vintage tractors are not going to be plowing forty acres with it.
So they build the rads as cheap as they can.
 
Upvote 0
Double o7

It seem to be leaking at top row. I don’t think this the original but I would say it at lease 25 years old Thanks for your experience.

Old Jubilee
 
Upvote 0
I have replaced two radiators with the restoration quality radiators. Both have worked well. This time around I will try a repair but so far my search for an old fashioned radiator repair shop has not been successful. I do have a name and number I got from the local Kenworth shop in town and I will be calling today. I hope the guy is still in business.
 
Upvote 0
I have replaced two radiators with the restoration quality radiators. Both have worked well. This time around I will try a repair but so far my search for an old fashioned radiator repair shop has not been successful. I do have a name and number I got from the local Kenworth shop in town and I will be calling today. I hope the guy is still in business.
It seems radiator repair is becoming a lost art. When I had my Oliver radiator re-cored 25 years ago, the shop closed up almost as soon as it was done. Thankfully it is still working great.
 
Upvote 0
I took my NAA rad to a radiator shop a few months ago. Paid $130 for:
Degrease, boil and flush, ultrasonic clean in caustic solution, pressure flush, test and repaint.
 
Upvote 0
Petertay

After listening some of the responses I probably going to take mine to local shop due to I think my radiator is around 25 to 30 year old from what can tell. I just think there made better vs what being made now. I am having issues getting my two bolts broke loose from the frame there been on alongggg time. lol. I may have cut the bolts I got them sprayed in Pb Blaster maybe it work. But I really appreciate your input.

Old jubilee
 
Upvote 0
Petertay

After listening some of the responses I probably going to take mine to local shop due to I think my radiator is around 25 to 30 year old from what can tell. I just think there made better vs what being made now. I am having issues getting my two bolts broke loose from the frame there been on alongggg time. lol. I may have cut the bolts I got them sprayed in Pb Blaster maybe it work. But I really appreciate your input.

Old jubilee
After listening some of the responses I probably going to take mine to local shop due to I think my radiator is around 25 to 30 year old from what can tell. I just think there made better vs what being made now. I am having issues getting my two bolts broke loose from the frame there been on alongggg time. lol. I may have cut the bolts I got them sprayed in Pb Blaster maybe it work. But I really appreciate your input.

You're on the right track. Replacement mounting bolts are readily available on this site and elsewhere, so I wouldn't hesitate to cut them. Putting too much torque on them to break them loose is likely to damage the radiator.

I purchased a 'restoration grade' radiator from YT and ended up returning it. I won't bother re-telling my story, but if you're interested you can find my posts here on the Ford board. The short version is you'll be much happier with a re-cored OEM radiator than with any aftermarket one.
 
Upvote 0
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top