Radiator Mounting 46A

Steve_S

Member
Can someone tell me how the radiator is supposed to be mounted? All I know is what the previous owner did, and it doesn't look right.

There are two threaded holes under the radiator, and two holes in the frame, but they do not line up.

It looks like the previous owner torched a hole on each side, and then ran one long bolt on each side into the radiator to secure it. You can see the holes in the third attached image. The torched hole lines up with the rear hole in the radiator.

mvphoto26227.jpg


mvphoto26228.jpg


mvphoto26229.jpg
 
It looks like your radiator is setting in the recess in the frame correctly. Not sure why the holes would be torched though. If it works now, I would leave it. Possibly a different radiator from a later year tractor? Ron Mn
 
One other thing, your rad bottom looks different as my 45A only has one bolt centered on each side of the bottom casting. Check the casting numbers to see if they are correct for your year. Ron Mn
 
Very interesting, thank you gentlemen. I've looked at the numbers, and I have a 2367 top which I believe is an earlier part, 2369 sides that are correct for the year, and a 3372 bottom which is a later part. So I guess later models used four bolts underneath instead of two.

My Franken-radiator does seem to fit just fine, and the bodywork drops right on, so I'll probably just run bolts in the rear holes for now and maybe weld up an adapter later to bolt into the correct holes in the frame.

I just wish someone hadn't torched these holes. I'm not sure it's repairable.
mvphoto26231.jpg
 
Looks like a radiator from a pressed frame tractor on an earlier model.
Those torched holes can be welded shut and ground back off if you so desire. But then you will need to find the correct radiator.
 

If the tractor is going all out for political correctness then you need a different lower
radiator tank. & repair the frame rails.

But if it were me, & political correctness isn't a issue, I would locate & bolt 2 pieces of
heavy angle iron on the inside of the frame. Drill & tap the frame rails & drill radiator mounting
holes correctly. Run the bolts from the inside out & grind off any remaining threaded bolt on the outside
of the frame. However tightening these bolts maybe be a issue with clearance?
 
I would just find a lower tank from a 40 to early 47 A. Lots of them around so there not all that expensive here in WI.
 
RLA, Great idea on the angle iron with bolts through the side rails. I'd rather not drill additional holes though, and there is no hole for a front bolt.

I'm not out to win trophies, I just like things being as correct as I can reasonably get them. I will keep an eye out for an earlier tank for future use.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top