Radiator stop leak

I have a small weep from my YM1600 radiator, but replacement radiators are expensive and thin on the ground over here. In the cupboard I found a bottle of Bars Leak - some sort of radiator stop leak chemical. I wouldn't want to use this on a modern engine (as it might clog up delicate bits that shouldn't be clogged up), but I'd guess there's not too much risk using it in an agricultural engine from the 1970s?!

Anyone used this type of thing on an old tractor, and did it work / block up the rad passages and make things worse? <E>:shock:</E>

<QUOTE author="sandspider"><s>
</s>Thanks Winston.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to use it in a modern car, but in an ancient tractor...?<e>
/e></QUOTE>

If it plugs your fins up like the video I can't see that would be good even for an ancient tractor. If ancient your radiator might be brass and possible to repair in a radiator shop.

Pull the radiator and have it boiled and repaired radiators get corroded from the antifreeze going acidic because of age so if your antifreeze is not changed every 7 or so years the radiator will go bad the other point is if that stuff is plugging holes in the radiator what's it doing to the rest of the cooling system even ancient tractors deserve a long life

Thanks.

I've not made any progress with it as it happens, too cold. I'll get the radiator off the tractor first and see what's what. New ones seem to cost around £400, and recoring the current one would be similarly expensive!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back