Radius rod socket paint

I had a pile of 8N parts powder coated red, they look sharp.

They messed up slightly and blasted & coated inside and out of radius rod socket and radius rod cap (9N-3442, 8N-3440-B).

Is this a problem? It"s nice and smooth, just not bare metal like it was. The oil/grease channel is still nice. Can I grease them and run them or should I remove the coating inside the socket?

Thanks, Clem
 
It may be more trouble than leaving it. I don't see any reason it would hurt anything. If you decide to try to get the powder off, the safest way is to use paint stripper that is called "Aircraft Stripper". It is the strongest I have found to use, and I have used it on race car chassis and motorcycle frames to cut the powder coat from them. If you try to sand etc., you will get into the metal, and might cause the joint to be too loose. Use tape on the outside edges of it, and cover as much as you can, so as not to get the stripper on the part you want to save.
 
Hi Clem --

Thats not a grease groove --- that's wear. I typically wrap my radius rod ends with electrical sealing tape to keep them from rattling. Others put a penny in or a couple of hose washers. Keep the paint-- it will wear off soon enough
Need Pics ;-)


-- Mark
 

The powder coating will eventually wear off the part from rubbing as it is very susectable to abrasion. The bear metal will then probaly rust. I would leave the coating on, coat them with some heavy grease and not worry about it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top