Railroad fixed the culvert

jon f mn

Looks like the rr was good to their word, mostly. If you remember the plugged the culvert and flooded my land.

20240519_054022.jpg

They originally said the would send out pumps to pump the water and then come out on the 28th to fix the culvert. They never did send the pumps, but they did come fix the culvert yesterday, just one day late.

20240530_093954.jpg
20240530_094028.jpg
20240530_094535.jpg

The water is mostly gone now. They did say it took a lot longer than expected because so much water was running out. Don't know what they expected with 5-6' of water over around 10 acres backed up. Lol. Anyway, that problem is solved and looks like they did a nice job of it. Now if they pay the damage as quickly I'll be happy.

So, what was the process to place a new culvert under the railbed?? Some kind of boring machine?
They just send a track hoe that ran down the tracks and dug out under the tracks. They left the tracks hang and put the new culvert under then filled in again. They never cut the tracks.

That’s not too bad. Depending on the pumps and where they wanted to put the water that might have been some higher ups plan that might not have been actually feasible. Glad progress was made!

They just send a track hoe that ran down the tracks and dug out under the tracks. They left the tracks hang and put the new culvert under then filled in again. They never cut the tracks.
Interesting. I would like to see an operation like that. I am curious how they get adequate compaction with the tracks in the way. Looks like it will outlast all of us now!

You certainly made out better than we did. They did an "improvement" project back in "78, raised the roadbed a bit over 3' and completely eliminated five of the seven 30" culverts that drained a substantial portion of our farm and buried the inlets of the remaining two. After a lengthly battle they finally uncovered the remaining two culverts but the elevation of those two is such that, in the end we lost about seven acres of cropland.

The RR did the same and backed up water on the ENTIRE mobile home lot that I rented out. The lot was level and was flooded about 6inched deep. Somebody posted a "NO FISHING' sign as a joke.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back