Rain killing crop

Texasmark

Well-known Member
My winter grass (hay) crop is matured, seed heads turning brown, stems not yet. I fertilized last fall and crop is tall and thick. Looks like I will have to dispose of it as by the time the rain stops the plants will be dead and full of mildew. One option is to cut, rake and bale it without tying it and moving the bales out elsewhere and unrolling them. Other option is to mow it with a shredder and plow the result into the field. Problem with that is that the field is well seeded in the cover crops that produce the hay. Plowing would kill off the crops producing the hay (opinion).

Thoughts appreciated.
 
Is Haylage an option?
Haylage can be processed with 40 to 60% moisture content.
It does take a couple of special tools to process it. A wrapper to wrap each bale air tight and a grapple that can grip the bale by the sides without ripping a hole in the plastic when putting it up for storage.
Haylage is becoming more popular here than dry hay. For cattle will stomp the best dry hay available into the ground to get to it.
If someone in your area does put up haylage. May be a good idea to talk to them to see if you could work out a deal. Be a lot less trouble and may even save a lot of your hay in the process.
 
Ryegrass? I have a tough time some years in cutting and baling ryegrass. If we can get a two day window of dry weather, we cut with a krone conditioner and bale it green(wet) and silage wrap it.
 
My winter grass (hay) crop is matured, seed heads turning brown, stems not yet. I fertilized last fall and crop is tall and thick. Looks like I will have to dispose of it as by the time the rain stops the plants will be dead and full of mildew. One option is to cut, rake and bale it without tying it and moving the bales out elsewhere and unrolling them. Other option is to mow it with a shredder and plow the result into the field. Problem with that is that the field is well seeded in the cover crops that produce the hay. Plowing would kill off the crops producing the hay (opinion).

Thoughts appreciated.
If you can find a tube wrapper in the area. You don’t need a special grab.
Just feed it out of the long tube. Or sell it to someone who will take the whole row a load a week. Doesn’t spoil if used in a week or so after pulling it out of the tube. It is also higher nutrient if you make it that way than dry.
 
Is Haylage an option?
Haylage can be processed with 40 to 60% moisture content.
It does take a couple of special tools to process it. A wrapper to wrap each bale air tight and a grapple that can grip the bale by the sides without ripping a hole in the plastic when putting it up for storage.
Haylage is becoming more popular here than dry hay. For cattle will stomp the best dry hay available into the ground to get to it.
If someone in your area does put up haylage. May be a good idea to talk to them to see if you could work out a deal. Be a lot less trouble and may even save a lot of your hay in the process.
BTOs in the area do this on a large scale. Being a STO I am not equipped so that option isn't on the table....thanks.
 
My winter grass (hay) crop is matured, seed heads turning brown, stems not yet. I fertilized last fall and crop is tall and thick. Looks like I will have to dispose of it as by the time the rain stops the plants will be dead and full of mildew. One option is to cut, rake and bale it without tying it and moving the bales out elsewhere and unrolling them. Other option is to mow it with a shredder and plow the result into the field. Problem with that is that the field is well seeded in the cover crops that produce the hay. Plowing would kill off the crops producing the hay (opinion).

Thoughts appreciated.
Options 3 might be to give it to a BTO in the area that chops. You spend no money on possibly bad hay and don't ruin your field.
 
I know today is Sunday, but the sun came out this morning and this afternoon it dried off and I decided to go for it. Was water in some areas of the field but I can work around those spots. Will hook up my tedder tomorrow AM and get after the scattering. Looks like a 4 -5 day window and I will see if I can make it. I guarantee you this: The tedder makes for good hay that would otherwise be lost. Can't believe I tried to farm so many years before I heard of, and bought a tedder. Real hay saver for spring crops.
 
I know today is Sunday, but the sun came out this morning and this afternoon it dried off and I decided to go for it. Was water in some areas of the field but I can work around those spots. Will hook up my tedder tomorrow AM and get after the scattering. Looks like a 4 -5 day window and I will see if I can make it. I guarantee you this: The tedder makes for good hay that would otherwise be lost. Can't believe I tried to farm so many years before I heard of, and bought a tedder. Real hay saver for spring crops.
I use a krone four basket Tedder and it’s the third tedder I’ve owned since about 1987. A Tedder is a necessary hay tool for making good hay. If your ”ox is in the ditch on Sunday” you got to get’em out.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top