Raising front-end loader of Farmall 656 without engine power

n-heptane

(This is basically a continuation from one of my previous threads where somehow classic view vs. modern view display got all goofed up. I gave up trying to work that thread.)

Right, so I am looking to raise the bucket of the Westendorf TA25 front-end loader attached to my 1969 Farmall 656 gas tractor, and I am looking to do it without engine power. Basically this is just to enable pull-starting on account of how my electrical system won't crank the engine any more than one turn (separate issue I might discuss more later). Anyway (and thank you to "Russ from MN" for this idea), I am now looking to place a jack under the loader's bucket and jack up the bucket. Here is my question: when I jack up my loader bucket, would it be better to have my 656 tractor's auxiliary valve control lever (the lever that raises/lowers the bucket when the engine is running) in "raise" or "float" position? Would having the lever in "raise" position lead to any possible hydraulics system damage when I force the bucket upward using the jack, with the engine off? Alternately, would having the lever in "float" position cause any hydraulics damage during the jacking process? (sorry, I'm an engines guy... tractor hydraulics is something I wish I knew more about) After the bucket is raised using the jack, I would be looking to put the auxiliary valve control lever in the neutral position to "lock" the bucket's elevation in place. Thoughts?

Float, raise or lower. Won't make a bit of difference.

Unless you can fling the loader bucket up like the Incredible Hulk, you are not going to damage the hydraulic system.

Also, you might want to find a way to block the loader up because it probably won't stay up. It probably won't suck up enough oil.

Why make it difficult though? Just slip a chain under the bucket and hook to the front of the tractor (preferably the weight bracket). Hook to your towing tractor, pull the hydraulic lever on the 656, and tighten the chain. BOOP! Up comes the loader!

You can use the chain to support the loader as you tow it, which will have the added benefit of keeping the chain from going slack to a degree. Once the tractor is running, it will lift the loader itself.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back