Bhunt

Hey Ratface sounds like the only thing you have found is an issue with the idle mixture screw pull it out and see if they put a new seat in the original would have been .021 you can check this with the back of a drill bit some idle seats may have been replaced with a .033 seat. check your mixture screw length and diameter as well. This is similar to the TSX241 carb this is what your tractor came from the factory with .The TSX33 was a 9N carburetor there was also a reproduction 241 with problem of its own. Type this in on a Google search page DELETED! There were some SERVICE BULLETINS done over the years to tractors in your year range. Also SOME MIXING of parts from both carburetors was typical. Hears a sample DELETED! Here's A copy of a service bulletin DELETED!

I don't know if this will help uncover all of the service bulletin's on a 9n TSX33 carb or even were you can get them but maybe someone else can help you on that. The reason I would look for the S/B on the TSX33 is someone may have put parts back in that were deleted by the S/B or it may be missing an update.

I tried to post 3 links but it wont let me its from another web site
Email me and Ill send it to ya. [email protected]

I thought these links might help your problem I can send it to you so you can look thru it but of course the choice is yours.

I did find this

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=803438

Byron

It wont be today or tomorrow unless you see this before I leave.

Byron thanks so much for the informative post. The link provided good insight as much as my non technical mind could follow. I think I have the "Losing power under Load" corrected. As far as I can attribute the problem was "Box Elder bug wings floating in the gas tank". Never in a million years would I have guessed it. Apparently they floated around causing intermittent fuel valve clogging. That is why the time for the occurrence was all over the board from minutes to hours. One had actually formed a perfect cap on the valve inlet. Others had clogged the reserve inlet. I had to remove the tank and wash it out several times.

The TSX33 is indeed off a 9N, I assumed they were interchangeable. I don't think the economizer port being missing caused the power loss since I found the Box Elder wings. The tractor is almost impossible to start now. There doesn't seem to be gas getting to the plugs when the choke is pulled. I have to use starting fluid. There are also throttle position issues which I cannot seem to correct. The governor to idle speed connection seems to have too much give in it and there is no adjustment on this linkage and the tractor just will not idle down unless I nudge it with my finger. Got a nice burn on my wrist from the manifold over days of trying.

Do you think going back to the 8N carburetor would make any difference? It is not rebuilt but again probably didn't need it after all. The only two things I was going to try this weekend was changing the points although they are brand new. Perhaps they are misaligning or slipping somehow. I also was going to change the governor spring in case it is stretched out to much. I only get the throttle to respond in the last 1/4 of the quadrant. I have tried all the known remedies with zero result. I don't hold out much hope for new points improving the starting issue nor a new spring helping with the throttle issue. Im at my wits end for sure.

I had one problem which I solved and created two newer problems. I need to live next door to one of you guru guys for sure!

(quoted from post at 03:12:23 06/09/15) Byron thanks so much for the informative post. The link provided good insight as much as my non technical mind could follow. I think I have the "Losing power under Load" corrected. As far as I can attribute the problem was "Box Elder bug wings floating in the gas tank". Never in a million years would I have guessed it. Apparently they floated around causing intermittent fuel valve clogging. That is why the time for the occurrence was all over the board from minutes to hours. One had actually formed a perfect cap on the valve inlet. Others had clogged the reserve inlet. I had to remove the tank and wash it out several times.

The TSX33 is indeed off a 9N, I assumed they were interchangeable. I don't think the economizer port being missing caused the power loss since I found the Box Elder wings. The tractor is almost impossible to start now. There doesn't seem to be gas getting to the plugs when the choke is pulled. I have to use starting fluid. There are also throttle position issues which I cannot seem to correct. The governor to idle speed connection seems to have too much give in it and there is no adjustment on this linkage and the tractor just will not idle down unless I nudge it with my finger. Got a nice burn on my wrist from the manifold over days of trying.

Do you think going back to the 8N carburetor would make any difference? It is not rebuilt but again probably didn't need it after all. The only two things I was going to try this weekend was changing the points although they are brand new. Perhaps they are misaligning or slipping somehow. I also was going to change the governor spring in case it is stretched out to much. I only get the throttle to respond in the last 1/4 of the quadrant. I have tried all the known remedies with zero result. I don't hold out much hope for new points improving the starting issue nor a new spring helping with the throttle issue. Im at my wits end for sure.

I had one problem which I solved and created two newer problems. I need to live next door to one of you guru guys for sure!

Hey I'm no Guru , I know you've spent a bit of money on this project. Id just like to see ya get it running again. Id put the old carb back on and take the other back to the guy who repaired it or at least call him and tell him it has no response to the idle mixture screw. The governor spring is probably the best idea. I was looking through the progression of problems you had and the old carb was off by the tine you cleaned out the tank. Putting on another carb is no big deal. This is the way I understand it. FIRST Install and adjust the new governor spring so it is not loose and not tight no light at connection point as best you can. Let me add I believe the idea is for the 2 governor arms to work as one after you put the new spring on. There is a stop on the bottom of one of the arms try to put the spring so it holds the two arms together. Ask for another opinion from one of the experts to make sure. I have added links detailing how to do it. Adjust the stop screw for the throttle plate on the carb linkage since you have it off the plate should line up between the two holes inside the carb bowl almost completely closed.. Put the carburetor on. LEAVE the throttle lever OFF the carburetor your putting on and OPEN the throttle all the way so it stretches the new governor spring and leave it there. Now you need to adjust the long governor rod until you can slip the SHORT CARBARATOR THROTTLE ROD in its place on the carb. I think you said the short rod has no adjustment If need be you can buy one that does adjust, but if the governor worked before it should work now.,. However remember adjust the long rod first Note; section 1-80 figure 6G1 Item #34 is the long governor rod.. Item #35 is the short rod to the carburetor in your 9N-2N-8N parts catalog. If you don't have it I can email it to ya. There should be a clevis nut on each side of the long governor rod loosen and adjust if required.

The hand throttle to governor linkage then is adjusted so the governor arm reaches it's {maximum speed stop}as the hand throttle reaches the last notch in the quadrant. I have a picture of the maximum speed stop If you need it but Id have to email it to ya , The maximum speed stop is adjusted to 2200-rpm maximum engine speed after you get the engine running and the carb jets set. You may have to back off of the maximum speed stop to get it set. When the hand throttle is in the first and lowest notch, the governor arms are at rest and not being held in any position by the linkage from the hand throttle. I downloaded some links from Archives that might help with the process. This should help with throttle position issues as well. You may have to readjust the governor screw since you moved it before.

22335.jpg

22337.jpg

Sorry have no idea what happen you can view it now.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=453016

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=4119

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=842522

I hope this helps you
Byron

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back