Re: 4610 SU warning lights

LarryNY

New User
I thought I was going to be reporting to you all that my problem was fixed! It is, sort off. I started searching out what sheet metal I was going to have to remove to find my problem, and I found the plugs where the wiring exited the area above the fuel tank. Then I noticed there was a disconnected wire dangling. It quite obviously went to a sensor screwed into the left side of the block. I used the tractor all morning with no lights coming on. BUT, when coming in from the woods for lunch, the air filter light came on just before I got to the house, and stayed on until I shut the tractor down. When I fired it up to go back out to the woods, it came on but went out soon after I took off. Again, all afternoon the lights all stayed off. Coming in at the end of the day the filter light came on in almost exactly the same place. The particular spot is a side hill that slants the tractor to the right. I can't help but think that tilt is significant. So, I am wondering if someone might be able to send a picture of the air filter sensor showing me where it's located.

And while I have your collective attention, I have a couple other questions that perhaps someone could help with. First, what is the sensor in the left side of the block that I discovered didn't have a wire plugged into it? It must be either water temperature, or oil pressure. I don't think I've ever seen my temperature gauge move. The needle is always at the top of the green range. Also, there are two wires coming up out of the tranny that I have wondered what they go to. Oil seeps up out of the location where they exit the tranny, when it's hot out. Anyone know what those wires go to?

Again, thanks for all the info and suggestions that you guys provided, getting me on my way to solving this problem.

Larry Frechette
 
The sensor/switch on the LH side of the engine block is for oil pressure. Since you said that it does not have a wire attached to it, me thinks that the wire in question is dangling in the nearby vicinity, occasionally grounding out on some nearby metal (such as the engine block), and causing your air cleaner light to come on. Furthermore, if I'm correct in my theory, your oil pressure light bulb is either burned out or not making a good connection.

The air cleaner restriction switch is on the pipe between the air cleaner and the intake manifold, near the front of the engine. There will be two wires attached to this sensor. Taking the wires off of this switch and shorting them together should make ONLY the air cleaner light come on. On the other hand, grounding out the oil pressure switch wire to ground should make BOTH the air cleaner and oil pressure light come on.

If your water temp gauge never moves, either your gauge is not functioning or your thermostat is stuck open. If it's the latter, get that fixed before wintertime.

The two wires coming out of the shift cover are for your neutral safety switch.
 
Bern,
Thanks for responding with all that information. I feel like I've learned something today already. Anything else is gravy! I plugged that dangling wire in to the contact on the oil pressure sensor, and I assume that is why the lights mostly stayed off yesterday, except for the two times the air cleaner restriction light came on as I neared the house, with the tractor tilted to the right. I will search out that sensor and look for causes for the light coming on when the tractor tilts to the right. It would seem that maybe that position causes a bare wire to short out. The oil pressure bulb is still working. But I have an oil pressure gauge and am tempted to mount that and hook it up. I'm also considering getting a temperature gauge and hooking that up. Where would I find the sensor for the temperature gauge?

Is it typical for oil to push out where the neutral safety switch wires come out?

Thanks again for all the help.

Larry Frechette
 

The temp sender is located in the front of the head beside the thermostat housing, a wire plugs into the end of the sender stud.
Check the oil level in the trans to see if it's over full, on some of my tractors it's a little wet around the wire grommet but they don't leak oil out of them.
You need to get a manual for your tractor.
 
Temp gauge sensor is located right next to the thermostat housing.

Oil coming out of the wires in the shift cover simply means that you need to replace the harness (the seal is bad), or else goop some silicone around it.
 

If your talking about the top of the transmission where the wires come out as opposed to the steering column.....

I find that oil comes out when the transmission is over full and the oil is foaming,,, and your on a steep slope, helps it even more. Please check your transmission fluid level.. if its over full,, you probably need to drain it, due to water contamination, and refill it with the correct type of tractor hydraulic fluid to the correct level. Its not unusual for the trans to get some water in it through the shift levers over time. If the level is ok, then your golden.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top