Re: A couple pictures from the Oliver museum in South

INCase

there isn't an "Oliver museum" there unfortunately. The place is call the HIstory center. It is on the site of Copshaholm the name of the Oliver family mansion. It includes a small museum with South Bend items and of course Oliver family history and some Oliver company history but not alot. Certainly not as much as i think they could or should have. THen the rest of the site is an old Polish Oliver factoryworker's house and the Studebaker museum which is pretty large. In the Studebaker museum basement is some odd and end stuff including more South Bend information like AM General and WHeel Horse and a couple Oliver things.

I would like to have see what South Bend looked like back in the day in the 1940-50's when Oliver, Studebaker, Bendix, South Bend Lathe, Singer and others were all going full tilt. I worked in part of the Bendix plant (Bosch) for a few years. the 1920's art deco office/lobby was impressive and pretty much untouched.

TImes have changed Bosch left the braking business so the South Bend office was closed and they recently (1-2 years) sold the old Studebaker/Bendix proving grounds (test tracks) to Navistar. Navistar and Freightliner were both Bosch's biggest customers anyway so no big surprise there.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back