Re: JIC hydraulic fittings and wrench sizes

NCWayne

One thing about hydraulic fittings nowdays isthat there are a variety of mfgs of just about every type and they seem to choose their own hex size for each of them. This is one good way to get you to go back to the OEM or use the same type hose/fitting on a machine since often the hex size is factored in on the engineering of a design. In other words where a design gives room for brand X"s size X hex and the wrench to fit it, it doesn"t leave room for brand Y"s size Y hex and the wrench for it. All I can say is it"s a ROYAL PITA to get hoses made nowdays.

On top of that throw in the fact that where there used to be just a few common fittings such as, JIC and some flange O-ring fittings from CAT, now there are at way to many different types to keep track of them all. Off the top of my head JIC, JIS, DIN, ORFS(with two different male halves that are machined differently and use different seal shapes), British, NPT, BSP, BSPP, SAE, several different "code" flange faced styles, etc, etc, etc. To make matters even worse they are doing the same things with them that they have been doing for years with the metric/standard thread mess and mixing them on machines.

They claim that they are trying to prevent leaks for the ske of the environment but I think it"s gotten to the point of engineering simply for the sake of engineering. The return to common use of the O-ring sealed ORFS fittings, in my experience has caused more lost oil than JIC fitting has ever thought of. I say this because they are a PITA to line up and get the threads started, if the O-ring falls out then it leaks and you have to do it again, the O-rings harden over time and start to leak, if they get too hot (a fire close by) the O-ring can burn out and cause a leak (feeding the fire), etc, etc. To top it off they are SOOOOO expensive in comparison to the JIC stuff it"s ridiculous.

As far as calling anybody for specs, other than the hex sizes which, like I said, seem to be dertermined by the various fitting mfgs., all of the other specs will be standard. There are books available through the different mfgs that give the standard specs to help identify the various types of fittings available nowdays. I know our local Aeroquip dealer used to give them out for free. I don"t know who their printed by but the name on the book was something like "The Identification of Fluid Power Fittings" or something to that effect if you want to do a search for it. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back