1995 Ford 2120 - TEE for checking hydraulic pressure for clutch

4gkjohnson

New User
I have a 1995 Ford 2120 Synchromesh 12x12 HSS and it acts like the clutch is slipping, same in forward and reverse. I want to check the hydraulic pressure to the clutch prior to having the clutch replaced. I have the manual and it says where to put the TEE to attach the gauge to but the threads or size is different than the manual says. The TEE is suppose to go between the HSS Shuttle Control Valve & the Pressure Oil Tube. The local New Holland dealer didn't have any hydraulic line parts that would fit it. I think it must be metric? The closest thing the dealer had was a 14mm. I don't think the TEE is the 7/16"-20 MJIC x 7/16"-20 FJIC swivel as specified in the manual. It is way too tight!

I am wondering if anyone knows? Could it be
14mm JIC male x
14mm JIC swivel female x
14mm jic male (middle)

The flare wrench I used to get it loose is a 17mm.

Any idea where I can get this TEE and the adapter to NPT? The TEE set and gauge at the dealer is $900 and they don't even have one for themselves.

I hope someone can help, my tractor is down.
Thanks, Greg

Attachments

• need a TEE 1.jpg
    need a TEE 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 19
  • need a TEE 2.jpg
    need a TEE 2.jpg
    811.1 KB · Views: 12
I have a 1995 Ford 2120 Synchromesh 12x12 HSS and it acts like the clutch is slipping, same in forward and reverse. I want to check the hydraulic pressure to the clutch prior to having the clutch replaced. I have the manual and it says where to put the TEE to attach the gauge to but the threads or size is different than the manual says. The TEE is suppose to go between the HSS Shuttle Control Valve & the Pressure Oil Tube. The local New Holland dealer didn't have any hydraulic line parts that would fit it. I think it must be metric? The closest thing the dealer had was a 14mm. I don't think the TEE is the 7/16"-20 MJIC x 7/16"-20 FJIC swivel as specified in the manual. It is way too tight!

14mm JIC male x
14mm JIC swivel female x
14mm jic male (middle)

Any idea where I can get this TEE and the adapter to NPT? The TEE set and gauge at the dealer is $900 and they don't even have one for themselves.

Thanks, Greg
Remove the male fitting from the box and take it with you to a reputable hydraulic hose and fitting shop. Since you seem to have difficulty telling the difference between 7/16 and 14mm, they will be able to positively ID it and get you what you need.

Remove the male fitting from the box and take it with you to a reputable hydraulic hose and fitting shop. Since you seem to have difficulty telling the difference between 7/16 and 14mm, they will be able to positively ID it and get you what you need.
Thank you for the reply, its much appreciated. When I went to the New Holland Dealer I took the pressure tube with me. They didn't have anything that fit except a different kind of fitting that was 14mm, not jic. That's why I was wondering if it might be metric. That and that the flare nut being 17mm. I might just have to drive the 100 miles to get to a place that does have metric hydraulic stuff.

Thanks!

Do you have any Asian tractor dealers near you, like Kubota or Kioti or Mahindra? Most tractor dealers will make hydraulic lines, and the Asian dealers are more likely to have the metric fittings.

14mm JIC male x
14mm JIC swivel female x
14mm jic male (middle)

Thanks, Greg
You cannot get that tee anywhere because there is no such think as 14mm JIC.
JIC fittings are all SAE threads.

Dan

You cannot get that tee anywhere because there is no such think as 14mm JIC.
JIC fittings are all SAE threads.

Dan
Thanks Dan. I ordered a hydraulic Pressure Test Kit with 14 different Tee's. I'm hoping that will resolve the issue. I'll post what I find out. Thanks!

Hydraulic Pressure Test Kit​

Thanks Dan. I ordered a hydraulic Pressure Test Kit with 14 different Tee's. I'm hoping that will resolve the issue. I'll post what I find out. Thanks!

Hydraulic Pressure Test Kit​

What does the end of the tube look like when you slide the tube nut back?

If its a flare fitting with a 14mm thread the only possibility I know of is Komatsu 30* flare.

Dan

Last edited:
What does the end of the tube look like when you slide the tube nut back?

If its a flare fitting with a 14mm thread the only possibility I know of is Komatsu 30* flare.

Dan

I'm thinking that's it. It is a flare and the 14mm threads seem to work best. I ordered a set that has that one in it and will update when it arrives. Thanks!

Ok, this is what I've got done. I'll post photos of what the 2120 Ford Service Manual says and the photos of measurements I took with a new caliper I purchased. I bought a test set with 14 different Tee sets in it and one works perfect but that aren't labeled. Another photo will be attached so maybe someone can compare my measurements to the list and can tell? It doesn't look like a 7/16 to me but... Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20240516_174158067.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174158067.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240516_174229807.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174229807.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240516_174243676.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174243676.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240516_174444589.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174444589.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240516_174532725.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174532725.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20240516_174547234.jpg
    PXL_20240516_174547234.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20240516_181709229.jpg
    PXL_20240516_181709229.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20240516_181807905.jpg
    PXL_20240516_181807905.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20240516_182911692.jpg
    PXL_20240516_182911692.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
Ok, this is what I've got done. I'll post photos of what the 2120 Ford Service Manual says and the photos of measurements I took with a new caliper I purchased. I bought a test set with 14 different Tee sets in it and one works perfect but that aren't labeled. Another photo will be attached so maybe someone can compare my measurements to the list and can tell? It doesn't look like a 7/16 to me but... Thanks!
JIC-05, 37 degree flare tube fitting, 5/16 tube, 1/2-20 UNF thread

Dan

Since I'm a teacher by profession, allow me to give you a little schooling. First off, we don't measure the ID of female threads to establish fitting size, at least not if we're categorizing them as "7/16" or "14mm". These terms refer to the OD of the male threads. That said, my attached chart DOES list female thread IDs as well.

Second, I'm not a big fan of the way you're using your calipers when measuring the OD of the male threads. Try holding it as shown in my pic for a more accurate reading. Note that I'm using the wide portion of the jaw at somewhat of an angle. It's very hard to tell from your pics whether or not the knife-edge jaws of your calipers are measuring the true maximum diameter of the threads.

Now then, assuming for the sake of discussion you lucked out and that you do have an accurate measurement, I'm doubting you have a #5 JIC, as your measurement should be closer to .49x". A #6 JIC (far more common in the hydraulic world), should measure closer to .55x".

Since you are somewhere in between (albeit a little closer to #5), the only way to be certain, in addition to correct caliper usage, is with a thread pitch gauge. A #5 JIC will be 20 TPI (threads per inch) and a #6 JIC will be 18 TPI, which is what I'm measuring in my pics.

Three more things: 1) it's definitely not a 7/16" (or #4 JIC) thread, 2) if it really was 14mm, then your calipers should be reading around .54x", and 3) I did note that your female ID measurements are closer to a #6 than a #5 JIC.

How's that for muddying the waters?

Attachments

• IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    957.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Since I'm a teacher by profession, allow me to give you a little schooling. First off, we don't measure the ID of female threads to establish fitting size, at least not if we're categorizing them as "7/16" or "14mm". These terms refer to the OD of the male threads. That said, my attached chart DOES list female thread IDs as well.

Second, I'm not a big fan of the way you're using your calipers when measuring the OD of the male threads. Try holding it as shown in my pic for a more accurate reading. Note that I'm using the wide portion of the jaw at somewhat of an angle. It's very hard to tell from your pics whether or not the knife-edge jaws of your calipers are measuring the true maximum diameter of the threads.

Now then, assuming for the sake of discussion that you lucked out and that you do have an accurate measurement, I'm doubting you have a #5 JIC, as your measurement should be closer to .49x". A #6 JIC (far more common in the hydraulic world), should measure closer to .55x".

Since you are somewhere in between (albeit a little closer to #5), the only way to be certain, in addition to correct caliper usage, is with a thread pitch gauge. A #5 JIC will be 20 TPI (threads per inch) and a #6 JIC will be 18 TPI, which is what I'm measuring in my pics.

Two more things: 1) it's definitely not a 7/16" (or #4 JIC) thread, and 2) if it really was 14mm, then your calipers should be reading around .54x".
Dollars to donuts its JIC-05 and his measurements are off.

Dan

There is nothing else even close. Gage it with a 1/2" fine thread hex nut. Heres a JIC-05 and a bit more reliable measurement.

Dan

View attachment 71715

View attachment 71717

View attachment 71718
Starrett calipers - nice! I have all Starrett for my outside mics, and still have my Starrett dial calipers as well.

Assuming his jaws are touching the threads in the first pic, the .515" measurement rules out a #5 and makes it more likely a #6 if he's not measuring the absolute largest part of the OD. My statement also assumes his calipers are correctly zeroed. But, we're not there to hold the calipers for him.

Starrett calipers - nice! I have all Starrett for my outside mics, and still have my Starrett dial calipers as well.

Assuming his jaws are touching the threads in the first pic, the .515" measurement rules out a #5 and makes it more likely a #6 if he's not measuring the absolute largest part of the OD. My statement also assumes his calipers are correctly zeroed. But, we're not there to hold the calipers for him.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back