Re: My ammeter is really acting crazy, and I still no lights

John T

Sooooooooo may questions so little time.

"This happens regardless where the 4 pos. switch is pointed at. Is this normal?"

NO Its more normal to start out charging at a higher rate and once the battery becomes charged the rate can slow some subject to loads and RPM and state of battery and charging system......Also if alls well charge rate should be higher in HIGH versus LOW setting

Ive seen jumpy ammeter action caused by,,,,,,,,,, worn genny brushes and/or the mica commutator bar separation segments not undercut properly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or burned carboned VR or CR conbtacts or poor connections or poor grounds or simply faulty ammeters

"Would too much retard, or too much advance in the magneto influence any of this?"

NO

Shouldn't I have lights with the M running or not running?

YES

"Oh one more thing regarding the cutout. I tried testing it by grounding the 'bat' terminal of the cutout and running a hot wire from the - side of the battery to the'gen' terminal of the cut to see if the points would close, and they remained open. Did I perform that test correctly?

NO

The BAT side is wired to the Load (NOT battery/starter) side of the ammeter with other ammeter terminal to the hot ungrounded battery post DO NOT GROUND THAT OUT......

The GEN/ARM side of the cutout is wired to the Gennys ARM post

"Also, with the cover off, I ran the the motor and got faint blue sparks between the points Is that normal?

NO

If its a Cutout relay once the gennys voltage exceeds battery voltage the relay should latch in (NOT chatter or open n close) and stay there (if genny and all else is okay). If the relay points are burned or carboned sparks may take place

"Also, when I polorized the gen., I got no spraks when I touch the "bat' and 'gen' terminals together. That don't sound right either, RIGHT?

RIGHT that dont sound right

TELL YA WHAT, why don't you slow down step back and work through my Troubleshooting Procedure one step at a time???????

Best wishes post back any questions:

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=jd&th=458743

John T
John Ts Charging Troubleshooting

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back