Real or fake? Starrett squares

Dave H (MI)

I bought this square as a Starrett on an online auction. Upon physical exam, it has no markings on it. I put pictures of it below with known Starrett squares. First with two 4 inch models and second with the typical 12 inch. All of the smaller units either say Starrett on them and/or hardened. The large one matches perfectly the picture of the the No 8 square in my old catalog including dimensions but the paint is not as described. This could mean it is an older model possibly. I also notice that the design of the larger is exactly the same as the 12 inch head. The large head is clearly old and so is it's paint. I dunno...this may not be the place to ask this but what the heck. Is this a true Starrett or a copy? Opinions? The blade is clearly marked Starrett and is the correct blade for the head.

cvphoto117261.jpg

cvphoto117262.jpg

Good point! I have been going over it pretty carefully. I am thinking this is a very old one from before the crinkle paint or whatever they call that finish. Everything else about it seems to be right on spec and matches the other sizes.

I would be inclined to say it's not Starrett. My Dad was a tool and die maker for over 50 years and I still have a lot of his stuff. Everything Starrett is marked Starrett that I have, most from the 50's and 60's. Look at them closely, the web between the bubble and the base is much larger on both of the small ones with the bubble vial almost in line with the screw. The large one has much less material there. Most probably a different square with a Starrett blade. Just my opinion, Johnski

I would tend to think if it is a Starrett it would be marked as such. Regardless it looks like a good tool to use for jobs that don't require a real Starrett - nice to have available from time to time.

I would like to add, that I have found Evapo-Rust "super safe rust remover" to be good for cleaning tools. It is costly, approximately $23 for a half gallon jug at TSC. It will tend to blue some material. [email protected]

I am inclined to go with Jim on this. Starrett would have gone off their nut if someone had made a casting this close to their design. Lufkin is the closest. B&S, Mitutoyo, Crafstman, Stanley...all different designs. These manufacturers would have put their name on it also, so is it a knockoff? Honestly, there is not enough $$$ in it to justify this and I would see more of them around. Anyone going to the lengths needed to make one this good could just have easily stamped a name on it. Even the knurled nut on this matches exactly and, also, it is on a Starrett blade. The CORRECT Starrett blade. I'm not thinking it is fake.

One more thought. If the market for the radically larger combination square was competitive, (and it is not) Making the investment in a knockoff look alike might be feasible. I could see a cheaply made pot metal large square, but it would not be attempting to capture the same market niche by imitation. Jim

A few thoughts;

-Starrett's patent protection for it's combination square from the 1800's would have long since expired.

-An image search for vintage combination square shows many similar ones made by other companies or with other other names on them.

-I found reference on a machinist site stating that the Snap on combination square is definitely made by Starrett.

-Do or did they ever make tools for others without their name on them? I don't know.

Yes, the patent would have expired and there are a great many companies making combination squares. But there are many differences in design, some subtle and some not so much. I have compared this one to the common brands. I know Starrett had a relationship with the Athol vise company. That is the only one comes to mind off the top of my head.

The starrett with checkering in web are quite old ,
most likely cast , the big one is hardened starrett
the lock screw gives it away , some are marked hardened along the edge of the
long side ,

the small square on top is a Browne & Sharpe again the lock screw with the small knurled post sticking out is how all Brown & Sharpe look, the small Starrett have that sorta flat lock screw.
Starrett also made a very large combo square , dont see them very often

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back