Red Tractor, Red Bird

RedMF40

Didn't plan for the Cub to run out of gas right there, just happened that way. Then I saw the male cardinal and later his mate were at the feeder. One pic shows him getting ready to give her some bird seed. I don't know if this is a courting ritual Or what the significance is. I've seen it before though.
F27C38BE-4DAC-41FC-9191-FDE329CC6959.jpeg
8D7AA40D-9662-49FA-A1A0-70EE4FC3DFDF.jpeg

Nice color shots. They do share. Jim
I remember one time the female was being super-demanding, the male was having a hard time keeping up with all the bird seed she wanted. I was thinking, "It's right there for crying out loud! You can get your own if you want!"

Hey Red, how do you like that flail mower?
I don't know yet. The grass is plenty high for my riding mower, but apparently not high enough for the flail. First time using one. I'll let a section grow to maybe a foot or so and try again. My cousin, who grew up on a farm, told me to be careful when slowing and stopping. The mower can keep the tractor going forward after pushing in the clutch.
Gerrit

I don't know yet. The grass is plenty high for my riding mower, but apparently not high enough for the flail. First time using one. I'll let a section grow to maybe a foot or so and try again. My cousin, who grew up on a farm, told me to be careful when slowing and stopping. The mower can keep the tractor going forward after pushing in the clutch.
Gerrit
You can put a ORC adapter on PTO for safety

Hey Red, how do you like that flail mower?
I used to use my G and Mott for the lawns but lifting that mower was a killer for my shoulders. I've been through grass/weeds over six inches but it needs high RPM in the extra low gear. Does a nice clean cut on lawns and it can get down to 3/4 inch if you want. Sharpening is the real bother. Sixty pairs of blades, each with two edges and attaching pin with washer and cotter.

I used to use my G and Mott for the lawns but lifting that mower was a killer for my shoulders. I've been through grass/weeds over six inches but it needs high RPM in the extra low gear. Does a nice clean cut on lawns and it can get down to 3/4 inch if you want. Sharpening is the real bother. Sixty pairs of blades, each with two edges and attaching pin with washer and cotter.
It could be that everything is rusty and dull. Tractor was stored inside for about 20 yrs before I bought it. That mower is heavy, thankfully the Cub has hydraulic lift. Not going to rely on it for grass-cutting duty, just wanted to try it out.

Maybe my eyes are off as the first female does not appear to be the female cardinal in the second pic.

We have cardinals and bluebirds here in central florida all year. Both will raise three broods. The bluebirds prefer the box nest in the open areas. Those poor chicks must nearly roast in the 95 degree day with the sun beating down on that box all day as well.

I rigged the a/c outside unit to dispense the condensate to a large frying pan. It is now a critter watering trough and bath for the birds, tortises and any other wild critter.

Nice way to reclaim the water for the animals. For the pics, the other bird in the first photo is not a female cardinal. It's a house finch. They can become bright red too but mostly just have a reddish blush around the head and shoulders.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back