Redneck disc brake conversion

BarnyardEngineering

Well-known Member
Location
Rochester, NY
Had to do a redneck disc brake conversion on the new axle for my firewood trailer.
20231228_134304.jpg
 
I have had to use a sledge to get drums off but not quite those results!
Yeah the axle was seized solid when I went to look at it. I bought it on a whim, paid too much, but the seller gave me two rims with good tires in addition to the flat ones that came on the axle so I don't figure I made out too badly.

There was no way those drums were coming off in one piece, but frankly I was expecting more of a fight from the drums. Just hit them with a sledge, they'll shatter... Yeah right, usually, but this time they broke with only a few hits.
 
That is heavier than the car type axle it is replacing. Since the hub sets on the wheel bearings inside the hub rather than bearing and axle shaft having to carry the load. This is more like from a 3/4 or ton truck. As for the drums I can usually get the adjuster to back off some then get the drum off and gut the shoes out so the drum helps protect the oil seal from all the junk the wheels go through in the field and woods.
 
That is heavier than the car type axle it is replacing. Since the hub sets on the wheel bearings inside the hub rather than bearing and axle shaft having to carry the load. This is more like from a 3/4 or ton truck. As for the drums I can usually get the adjuster to back off some then get the drum off and gut the shoes out so the drum helps protect the oil seal from all the junk the wheels go through in the field and woods.
It's replacing an ancient Eaton full-floating rear axle. Used in trucks from '49 to '72. Can't get parts for them anymore, at least not inexpensive parts. Not sure where you're getting "car type axle" from.

I'll mail you the adjusters, or what's left of them if you want to see if you could get them to back off. When it dries out I'll sweep them up into a dustpan and put them in an envelope.
 
Barnyard: I have had some that would not adjust either. Some will. I don't need them but thank you for thinking of me. I thought it looked like the old axle was out of a car where the bearing on the axle is allowing all the weight to be on the axle shaft as posed to the truck axles where the weight is on the hub and the bearings run on the axle tube. Not the shaft. Sorry if I was wrong about that. Some times pictures are a bit hard to discern.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top