refinishing fuel tank (gas)

bmwphd

New User
I'm in the process of bringing my massey fergusion TO-35 1959 back to life I need advice on fuel tank finishes that will withstand fuel also coating the inside of the tank to contain-stop the rust. I've seen several products for coating fuel tanks witch one works best?

I'm in the process of bringing my massey fergusion TO-35 1959 back to life I need advice on fuel tank finishes that will withstand fuel also coating the inside of the tank to contain-stop the rust. I've seen several products for coating fuel tanks witch one works best?
For the inside of the tank, I used POR 15. You must follow all the steps in the instructions from cleaning, drying to coating. I used it on a tank a couple years ago and have been very pleased with it. There are other products similar to it, but this is what I have experience with

The cleaning is what determines your outcome. After I used a chain to scour the inside, I used muriatic acid as a wash for 15 minutes, rinsed well with water, then air dried with an air hose. They recommend their cleaner but I've never used it.

For your finish to stand up to fuel, in my opinion, you need at least acrylic enamel, preferably with hardener.

the tank has been riding in the back of my truck secured full of old chain and hardware for a week. I purchased the por 15 refinishing kit and will post the results.

the tank has been riding in the back of my truck secured full of old chain and hardware for a week. I purchased the por 15 refinishing kit and will post the results.
What is the tank full of old chain and hardware doing in the tank while it is riding in the back of your truck? Do you have some way of turning the tank while you drive rigged up?

knocking loose the rust on the bottom of the tank before cleaning and sealing
I always understood that you had to be turning the tank in some manner for those chain links and the hardware to be doing any knocking. Are you turning your truck over??

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back