remote flywheel turner

tomturkey

Well-known Member
Has anyone seen or invented a way to turn the flywheel on a square hay baler remotely. Like say an electric motor belted up to the flywheel so a one man operation could check all the functions of his baler tieing sequence. Maybe a starter motor with momentary switch?? When your a one man band, you try to figure out ways to achieve things alone. Just figured I am not the first to think on this idea. I am sure someone had made something. Its just the way old farm folks were wired imo. what do ya think?? gobble
 
Could you just hook it up to your tractor, engage the PTO, and keep it at really low RPM? Without the transmission engaged or any load on the baler of course, I'm sure the tractor could turn the baler at idle since there won't really be any resistance.
 
It would need to be really slow like the apron turner for a self unloading wagon they used to have in the old days. Id look for a worm gear reducer and graft a pto stub to it. I can definitely relate to the diagnosing tying issues....
 
Two person system works the best, even a well-meaning wife could help. But I can remember just move the flywheel a couple of inches at a time, recheck what you are looking for, and repeat. May take some practice to get to the correct amount of movement.
 
Two person system works the best, even a well-meaning wife could help. But I can remember just move the flywheel a couple of inches at a time, recheck what you are looking for, and repeat. May take some practice to get to the correct amount of movement.
Oh yeah and after every push of the fly wheel, I hear, ARE WE DONE YET!!!. So yes I have employed the push a little check..push a bit more check and so on and so on. gobble
 
Has anyone seen or invented a way to turn the flywheel on a square hay baler remotely. Like say an electric motor belted up to the flywheel so a one man operation could check all the functions of his baler tieing sequence. Maybe a starter motor with momentary switch?? When your a one man band, you try to figure out ways to achieve things alone. Just figured I am not the first to think on this idea. I am sure someone had made something. Its just the way old farm folks were wired imo. what do ya think?? gobble
How about this?

Mike



 
Thanks guys, I am gonna continue to think on this subject. I don't make very many small squares, but it driving me bonkers that this baler will clink along for a bit then every third or fourth something is wrong, usually knot hung on the bilhook or two on there. It seems to be a matter of man against machine ,I should just forget it, sell the problem and be done, but, i can be stubborn. gobble
 
Thanks guys, I am gonna continue to think on this subject. I don't make very many small squares, but it driving me bonkers that this baler will clink along for a bit then every third or fourth something is wrong, usually knot hung on the bilhook or two on there. It seems to be a matter of man against machine ,I should just forget it, sell the problem and be done, but, i can be stubborn. gobble
What baler are you working on?

Mike
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top