Removing steering spindle/eccentric bushing on JD B trac

Re: JD B: I'm trying to remove or at least drive the pedestal spindle downward enough so that I can replace the eccentric bushing assuming it's worn since there is some lateral play at top of spindle. Have front of tractor just clear of ground. Been using an air hammer and wd-40 with nut threaded flush to top of spindle in anticipation of driving spindle down through eccentric bushing, hours later to no avail (no visible downward movement of spindle). Thoughts please. Thanks in advance. nab

Second half of the question here...Read in the JD B manual to use a wheel knocker when driving the spindle down and out. Could not locate this item online. In place of this item I've been using the threaded spindle nut just flush with the top of the spindle when hammering on it. The wheel knocker in the manual looks like it might work better. Are there any substitutes? Thoughts please. Thanks in advance. nab

Place a brass or copper hammer on top of the shaft. Strike this hammer with a four pound hammer. It will very likely fall out. Do not strike the shaft directly with a hammer.You will damage the shaft.

I've done this on an A and H and never had much trouble. With the front wheels suspended a good sharp rap with large hammer should pop it loose. Protect the threads of course.

Just stand a piece of an Oak ,Elm or other hard wood block like a short piece of a 2x4 in end on it and whack it hard should just drop down then.I do this all the time no need for a fancy something or other. I do keep the nut on the threads though.

My adage toward this type of situation has always been ..you are trying to run over a semi truck with a Volkswagen.. Sure air hammers are useful in a lot of situations but in this case the vibration inertia of the small hammer just cannot over come the shear mass of spindle. The heavier sledge hammers that are mentioned can just transfer way more energy from the sudden stop of its own weight into the motion needed to move the spindle out of the tight fit.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back