When I overhauled my '49 8N I didn't have any difficulty removing the intake valves using the notched screwdriver method. I also modified a curved prybar/scraper I had by
notching out the center to fit around the valve stem. The exhaust valves were more stubborn as one was so stuck I cut the spring into three pieces to get it out. I just did a
valve refresh on my '51 and the exhaust valve came out super easy and they also had seals on them which I did not put back. The intake valves were the opposite, I had to pry the
spring down and snatch the clips out. Upon close inspection I could see that the block casting in the valve port areas especially on the intake ports is made different and takes
a different approach to getting the clips out. When I put them back in I was able to pry the guide down just enough to get a screwdriver into the clip groove and get the clip
started and then tap it in with a hammer. Has anyone else run into this on late block vs. early block engines. I updated the exhaust valves to rotators and all adjustable
lifters. Every valve guide had a seal on it, I only replaced the intake seals. The block has red paint on the surface where the manifold goes and I'm wondering if this engine
has ever been disassembled.
notching out the center to fit around the valve stem. The exhaust valves were more stubborn as one was so stuck I cut the spring into three pieces to get it out. I just did a
valve refresh on my '51 and the exhaust valve came out super easy and they also had seals on them which I did not put back. The intake valves were the opposite, I had to pry the
spring down and snatch the clips out. Upon close inspection I could see that the block casting in the valve port areas especially on the intake ports is made different and takes
a different approach to getting the clips out. When I put them back in I was able to pry the guide down just enough to get a screwdriver into the clip groove and get the clip
started and then tap it in with a hammer. Has anyone else run into this on late block vs. early block engines. I updated the exhaust valves to rotators and all adjustable
lifters. Every valve guide had a seal on it, I only replaced the intake seals. The block has red paint on the surface where the manifold goes and I'm wondering if this engine
has ever been disassembled.