Rent a corn head?

I bought a 1989 CaseIH 1660 combine last week, yeahhh!! Found a good deal on one for $5,000 with only 4,000 hours. I think he lowered the price because 3 tires are worn out, so I'll need to buy new ones, and because mice had gotten into the cab and chewed the seat and some of the headliner. They had purchased a bigger one, so weren't using the smaller one.

I have 50 acres of corn that I still need to combine.

Would anyone be willing to RENT me a corn head? I think that a 1063 or 963 or 863 are the 6 row corn heads that will work on my 1660. I need to buy a corn head at some point, but I used up all my money on buying the combine and getting it home.

Thank you if you have any ideas on this. I'm in North Missouri, willing to drive some to get it, if I can find one.

Yes, it would be great to just hire it done, but I've asked about 10 neighbors and friends and no one is able to combine for me.
cvphoto166983.jpg

Assuming somebody would charge 20 dollars per acre then you would have 1,000 dollars to spend which should buy a decent but not fancy 863. That is the approach I would take. Lots of farmers are done with this fall's harvest so some might be for sale or you could run a WTB ad. Lots of liability in my mind to rent such a piece of equipment so don't be surprised that renting a corn head might be very difficult.

Many combines might already be all cleaned up and parked in the shed. Can you talk to a bank about a farm load or a dealer about financing on a corn head on their lot?

If your local dealer has one in his lot I bet he would rent it to you. Then if you end up buying it he would take rent money off.

I did that with a pickup head once for my 1660. I ended up buying it. Win, win.

Local combine salvage yard has a line of functional corn heads they rent out. They renting out the heads instead of parting them out like they do with the rest of the combine. If renter has problems with it or it breaks down, they just bring it back and get a different one. The yard either fixes or salvages any of the problem heads.

You might check with salvage yards in your area.

(quoted from post at 10:41:08 11/18/23) If your local dealer has one in his lot I bet he would rent it to you. Then if you end up buying it he would take rent money off.

I did that with a pickup head once for my 1660. I ended up buying it. Win, win.

This is correct. If a local dealer has one sitting on the lot, whether currently attached to a combine or not, it is bringing no money in. Some rent for the dealer is better then nothing for him as well. When you want to rent something unusual like that always check with a local dealer.

Around here nobody rents anything out unless you are a preferred customer meaning you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars with them annually. Maybe the Midwest is different.

Any of those headers that you listed will work fine on your combine. The 863 header will be the heaviest one of all 3 models listed as it has cast iron gearboxes. I know the 10xx series had aluminum gearboxes and were considerable lighter. If a good dealer has a head on the yard, it may be possible to rent it if they know that you are potentially in the market for buying one. In there eyes, it could be as an demo opportunity for them to let you try it before it was purchased. There has been a fair amount of equipment sold like this locally that otherwise would have been a big lawn ornament.

If there are 10 friends and neighbors so busy they can't combine for you
there must be custom work potential in the future. Find a way to purchase a
head on payments and pay it off next fall. How much is anyone selling a head
for in your area ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back