problem. I have made every adjustment you can and
the clutch is releasing that I can see when I get under
the tractor and push the clutch pedal down, I bought
good parts from a reputable dealer so I dont think its
cheap China parts. I have done everything I know to do
so I hope someone can give me some advice please,
thanks again

Just to get the easy stuff out of the way:
1. You are aware that the transmission is not synchronized. It can't be "granny shifted" on the fly.
2. You have the clutch disk installed correctly, with the "nose" pointing toward the rear of the tractor.
3. You have gear lube in the transmission.

Can you shift into gear at all? If you hold down the clutch long enough will it stop spinning?

If you start the tractor with it in gear (clutch pedal down of course, yes, it's not how you're supposed to start a Cub but this is for testing purposes only), can you shift without grinding? Once you get it in a gear, can you shift without grinding?

Pressure plate release fingers at 1-1/8" from the frame of the pressure plate, and all three the same? (The old 1-1/4" measurement won't work with modern pressure plates as the adjustment screw is too short.)

Did you check the input shaft for runout when you had it apart?

I havent checked the oil in the transmission, the clutch
is put in properly, you have to start tractor in gear or it
grinds gears, as far as the run out I didnt measure but
I did move the shaft around and didnt feel anything
unusually loose so again where do you measure when
adjusting the pressure plate fingers?

Loose is not the question. If it was loose it wouldn't bind. I'm talking about the input shaft being bent. Ran into that once. Asked the experts about it, got told it was fine so I ran it, but the transmission would grind.

If the clutch is releasing the it is not likely the finger adjustment, but you measure from where the finger would contact the throwout bearing down to the "frame" of the pressure plate.

All of these old tractors you have to wait a bit to shift if you just came from neutral with the clutch pedal up. The gears will spin some as they slow down. You can not shift with out stopping first or they will grind. they will also grind if you don't wait for them to stop. Once stopped they should shift easily with no grinding. Is the pilot bearing to tight if a bushing bearing that will drag the input shaft. While you're not supposed to start them in gear I do it most of the time and have toe pedal down when I do it. No wait for the gears to stop and can go right away. Just me and been doing it for decades. Most other newer stuff I start in Neutral.

I'm thinking the input shaft could be bent that is causing this so do you split the tractor at the clutch housing and front of transmission? The reason I think
it's bent is when you are on the tractor running and in gear and you press the clutch pedal the tractor wants to grab and keep pulling on and off if this makes
sense, like I say this tractor was doing this when I bought it so I don't know it's history, what I thought was quick clutch replacement has turned into a
nightmare.

pilot bearing some times are too small and must be reamed out to the correct size by being a little too tight the input shaft keeps on turning instead of stopping and causes a lot of gear clash.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back