Replaced knife holders on drum mower

Keith Molden

My drum mower started throwing the knives on the outside drum so yesterday we pulled the bottom dish and replaced the knife holders. They were worn so bad on the inside that the knife would slip out and go flying never to be found. I found the old ones were also bent. They weren't hard to replace after we removed the top cover and curtain (it came off as one unit held on by 4 bolts. Then turned the mower on it's side, removed the 3 hex head bolts and removed the bottom dish. Those blades do get to be expensive when you loose them without hitting anything. I think it will mow a little bit better now when the 2nd cutting comes on. Only took me and the wife about 3 hours from start to finish and not working fast at all. I've had this mower for at least 8 years now and this is the first thing I've ever had to do on it, so other than either flipping or replacing blades, that's pretty good. It's a Minos mower. Keith

I've been drooling over a drum mower for several years. Seems every one I find locally is close to 8 feet and that's supposed to be way too much for my 55hp tractor. Guy in Amherst Mass area sells Minos. Quite a drive , but maybe someday!

Where are you located? I have a friend that bought a discbine and wants to
sell his 6'drum mower. He's located in S.E. Ohio. Feel free to message me
with a phone number if you're interested. Your 55 hp should work fine with
a 6' drum mower. Keith

Thank you for the kind offer Keith, but I'm in Northern NY on the Ontario border in the Thousand Island region. Ohio might as well be Mars in my situation! But thank you again!

Are you sure drum mower is the correct name for what you're looking for? The largest drum mower available in the US (that I'm aware of) is the new one from Tar River, and it's only 6 foot 9 inches. The vast majority are 6 foot or smaller.

There was a company called Uniform that made 6 and 8' 3 point hitch drum mowers in the 80's - 90's
I have a 80's model Claas 8' trailed drum mower
Reese makes 3 point and trailed drum mowers from 6' - 11'
Drum mowers were popular in Europe while disc mowers were popular in the US

(quoted from post at 10:37:25 07/21/21) Are you sure drum mower is the correct name for what you're looking for? The largest drum mower available in the US (that I'm aware of) is the new one from Tar River, and it's only 6 foot 9 inches. The vast majority are 6 foot or smaller.

Absolutely. Reese is what I've seen locally. it's just shy of 8 feet IIRC.

Interesting. I've never seen an 8' 3pt drum mower, only trailed. That would have to be heavy and awkward to move around with. All of the drum mowers I see around here are 4'-6'.

I use the Tar River 185, weighs in at around 900+ # and even with front end weights on my Ford 3910 heavy hanging out there. I'd
say an 8' would have to tilt vertical for transport. I added a hydraulic cylinder rather than the OEM solid steel arm for lifting the
outer tip up for better ground clearance. Can't lift it as far as you see discs, but I bought drum due to fewer parts. If I use a larger
tractor with the lift arms longer I could go vertical...or close to it. Cuts great.....just throws stuff at you so you need to protect
yourself and if in a cab, the cab glass. Mine makes a nice WW so that my tractor's tires don't stomp on new clippings on
subsequent rounds.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back