Replacement for 5 HP B&S horizonal shaft

da.bees

I have a rear tine tiller with 5 hp Briggs in excellent condition other than rusted out fuel tank and corroded carburetor. I can find carbs and kits but no fuel tank. Liner is out of the question, paper thin with holes,including sump. Model 135202 type 0145-01 code 93012707 Tank pn694315. I furnished #s because someone usually asks hoping they can suggest a source of parts plus I can buy a 6 hp Predator or Ironton for $129 and wonder what the odds are they would fit. Is it simple as matching shaft and mounting holes? It's quite a trip to take the engine in for side-b-side comparison so I'd rather have it delivered. Thank you for your thoughts.

There are lots of small gas tanks you can buy, and probably none of them are a perfect fit. You might be surprised to see all of the choices available from Amazon. As far as putting a predator in place of a Briggs, I've read of many people doing exactly that with good results.

There are lots of small gas tanks you can buy, and probably none of them are a perfect fit. You might be surprised to see all of the choices available from Amazon. As far as putting a predator in place of a Briggs, I've read of many people doing exactly that with good results.
You are correct,there are lots of small gas tanks that can be bought. You are also correct in saying non are a perfect fit, I would even go as far as saying non are even close and I can't see a way of adapting one of them. I've hung redneck tanks on things fed by hose but this carb mounts to tank and requires tank have a sump. This tank has governor assembly built into it.
Thanks for suggesting Amazon as a source with a surprising number of choices,problem is the few that can be used is NLA. Other than replacing engine,the solution might be in finding a carb-tank-governor assembly that can be connected to governor arm. I would think that same block has been used on countless applications which didn't have the same carb and fuel tank. If I can find such a cross-reference list, I'm thinking that working backwards to find other things that carb was used on might be a solution.
The search hasn't been a total waste. I've learned a scam angle I'd never thought of before. Sellers lure buyers away from Amazon through clicks then once on their site drop the hammer. As an example bryanss.myshopifiy.com They take all kinds of payment but if you drill down on contacting them by phone or email to ask questions or check stock they disappear like farts in a whirlwind.

The 5 hp Briggs is the spec engine for junior drag racing. You can buy literally anything you want for it from suppliers of jr. dragster parts.

I am guessing the Briggs 5 hp. you are referring to the flat-head 5 hp. those are the ones with the metal tanks that are NLA and since the carburetor bolts to them and feeds out of the tank, nothing else can easily be made to work.
You can probably adapt a later slant-cylinder engine to your rear tine tiller. If it is a MTD/Cub Cadet or a Electrolux/Husqvarna style, you may have to make an adapter plate as the engine may have to shift forward a bit for the cylinder to clear the gearbox. You might also have to use a longer belt. Troybilt models turn the engine sideways, so clearance shouldn't be much of an issue. Belt length may still need to be changed or the engine shimmed up so you can still use the same belt.

Check YouTube. Lots of Predator swaps.
Lots of swaps as in Predator offers Lots of different 4-7 hp engines to retro-fit Lots of applications of swaps using the 3 or 4 current offerings and if a person wades through enough YouTubes they will find one that applies to their situation?
I'll try search terms such as ,,,,,,what Predator engine replaces a B&S xxxxxxx and see what pops up. Thanks for the lead.

Last edited:
I am guessing the Briggs 5 hp. you are referring to the flat-head 5 hp. those are the ones with the metal tanks that are NLA and since the carburetor bolts to them and feeds out of the tank, nothing else can easily be made to work.
You can probably adapt a later slant-cylinder engine to your rear tine tiller. If it is a MTD/Cub Cadet or a Electrolux/Husqvarna style, you may have to make an adapter plate as the engine may have to shift forward a bit for the cylinder to clear the gearbox. You might also have to use a longer belt. Troybilt models turn the engine sideways, so clearance shouldn't be much of an issue. Belt length may still need to be changed or the engine shimmed up so you can still use the same belt.
It's flat head on a J C Penny tiller so I'd bet MTD built it. Adapter plate,scutching foward and different belt answers my question "is it simple as matching shaft and mounting holes". Based on how many say they bought engines I'm amazed so many folks have neccessary skill ,tools and time to resurrect worn out mowers and stuff.

I have a rear tine tiller with 5 hp Briggs in excellent condition other than rusted out fuel tank and corroded carburetor. I can find carbs and kits but no fuel tank. Liner is out of the question, paper thin with holes,including sump. Model 135202 type 0145-01 code 93012707 Tank pn694315. I furnished #s because someone usually asks hoping they can suggest a source of parts plus I can buy a 6 hp Predator or Ironton for $129 and wonder what the odds are they would fit. Is it simple as matching shaft and mounting holes? It's quite a trip to take the engine in for side-b-side comparison so I'd rather have it delivered. Thank you for your thoughts.
I would look at Ebay. Lots of used gas tanks, a whole lot of Brigg's gas tanks. Usually between $10 and $25 with shipping.

If your engine looks like this one..

Best and would be cheaper to replace the engine.. The carbs for the engine cost around $150 alone and a new tank is next to impossible to find.

I would choose the Predator engine over the Ironman.

1000003625.jpg

If your engine looks like this one..

Best and would be cheaper to replace the engine.. The carbs for the engine cost around $150 alone and a new tank is next to impossible to find.

I would choose the Predator engine over the Ironman.

View attachment 69331

They are a little more expensive but they aren't $150. Ebay has them for $56.00 with a 30 day return if it doesn't work - you get stuck with shipping. Granted they aren't the $10 and $20 replacement you see for Kohlers and most lawn mowers.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back