Replacing 6 volt battry with 8 volt

bh58

New User
This message is a reply to an archived post by toolz on October 08, 2007 at 18:50:53.
The original subject was "Re: Replacing 6 volt battry with 8 volt".

Now that you had it in a few months, do you still recommend it? I've been considering it for my WD45 for a few weeks and the battery in it now is only 4 months old and has hardly any reserve.
 
Still working great- I've had no issues whatsoever. The 8-volt solved my starting problems.
 
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the followup.

The 6v has no power to start even with the charger on extra engine start amps (especially in the cold)
 
Make sure you have the right cables for a 6 volt.Is the battery getting enough charge.A starter with worn bushings will drag,The armature rubs on the pole pieces.Dont put much faith in small chargers with a boost feature.Those Ive worked on have a # 10 wire in them.Not large enough for 100 amps claimed boost.Tractors usually have worn out batteries, corroded cables and terminals,makes for hard starting.
 
They will work well providing the rest of the system is in good shape. You dont change anything just keep the same polarity. Using an 8v is nothing newmany an old car in 40s thereabouts had 8v to make sure they started on cold winter days and so forth.
 
Worked well for me years ago when I put a over bore hi compresion kit in a allis wc. First night working I burned out all the light bulbes. But it did work.
 
How do you keeep the 8 volt battery charged? If I remember right it requires 9.2 volts for a full charge. Most 6 volt generators only put out about 7 volts. Jack
 
The generators will put out what ever the voltage regulator allows them to. If I remember right, you go into the voltage regulator and bent the tab on the voltage relay a bit till it controls at about what you said 9.2? volts. That is to tighten the spring a bit. Brings up the question for others--Can a 6 volt generator be made to charge a 12 volt battery with the proper regulator?
Personaly, I think there is a lot better solutions than a 8 volt battery.
 
Sure they work n crank a bit better butttttttt (points will burn up a lil sooner unless some ballast is added n lights are brighter but dont last as long either) Im NOT a fan of the 8 volt system as its a band aid approach to fix the real problem. To start with on 6 volt systems I recommend the biggest heaviest highest rated battery that will fit in the box and use 00 Gauge battery n starter n ground cables....and have the tractor well tuned.

If you insist on converting why not go all the way up to the more standard n reliable n easy to get parts and make it 12 volts n be done with it??

That being said, a 6 volt genny can charge an 8 volt battery although it may not charge at any real super high rate. A genny by itself unregulated dont relly know its voltage, thats increased by turning it faster or pumping more current through its field windings which either a Voltage Regulator or a low/high charge light switch system accomplishes...... True a 6 volt Voltage Regulator can be tweaked up a bit if you have a VR instead of a simple cutout relay...

Ive used 6 n 8 n 12 volt systems satisfactorily but prefer 6 or 12 the best..

John T Retired electrical engineer
 
Many vintage 6 volt tractors have only a cutout on the generator (usually round can) and a third brush to regulate the current. They are more variable voltage, but WILL overcharge the battery on a long run unless the operator turns on the lights to absorb the extra current from the generator when the battery has had time enough to be fully charged. That manual control of charging probably means a new battery each year if not more often.

In my opinion applying 8 volts to a starter that didn't crank good with 6 volts is kicking a dead horse. As noted below, worn bearings, worn brushes, wimpy (ala walmart battery kiosk) battery cables, and dirty battery circuit connections will keep a starter from working well at 6 volts, but applying 8 or 12 volts will only finish the destruction of the starter more rapidly.

Gerald J. Working electrical engineer.
 
Been using 8v batts on my WD for 20+ years. If you could see the number of 8v batts at the local Fleet Farm store you would know that lots and lots of people use them and pay no attention to the complaints of the purists who are shocked out of their thongs when they hear that anyone would contemplate such a thing. They're the same set who get all worked up when they see wheels painted silver that should be orange/red whatever. What the hey! It's your tractor and it won't hurt a thing and it helps in -20 weather.
 
I'm not much of the correct police, I mean I am the biggest proponent for swapping Motorola alternators on tractors for GM units but that's beside the point. I still think that the 8v battery is kind of a b**tard child. If you have good cables, a good starter, and a good charging system you should only need a 6v battery. From what little experience I have at tractor shows people like to start their tractors up and putter around at an idle. At the lower engine speeds the generator isn't spinning fast enough to throw a good charge into the battery. If you are going to do anything to the system switch it to 12v,it's a whole lot more common. Or get an undersized pulley made for your generator to make it spin faster, I've done that to a few for people.
 
8volt batteries handy about now in Wisconsin, M had one a few years back in Iowa. I needed one in VW bus for winter or jumped off spare 12v. Bus was 61 with a 'big'- 1285- bore engine I put in after guy gave me body for helping with late model bus. 6volt gen to 12 volt? Old thread on doing that- voltage regulator change on some models ends up 12 volt/10 amp instead of 6volt/15 amp. Others had electric shop rebuild as 12 volt- looks original or mountings didn't need changing. IHC change to 12 volt by using early 60s Ford Falcon generator- the generators were English Ford size- same basic size as IHC 6 volt and fitted under hoods of Hs. RN
 
What time and money? When my 6v battery needed replacement, I bought the 8v. Costs a lot more time and money to convert to 12v. My tractor is restored- new starter, new generator, all new wireing and cables. It started before- it just starts faster and better now. Battery fits in the original box, covered, and nobody knows the difference except me, when it cranks over better than it ever did.
 
Used some 8's. Novelty I guess. Never satisfied. And how do you charge them properly. Forget and jump with 12volt-Could blow up. If they were a lot cheaper, then I would probably put up with them.
 
Used some 8's. Novelty I guess. Never satisfied. And how do you charge them properly. Forget and jump with 12volt-Could blow up. If they were a lot cheaper, then I would probably put up with them.
 
I just replaced the starter switch (button) on my '47 Super A and at the same time installed an 8 volt battery. It started great - much quicker then before- But after I shut it off and tried to restart..Nothing. Starter is dead. Finally got it to fire up with the crank so I guess the coil isn't completely cooked but what else might I have screwed up?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top