Replacing generator with alternator

I have ford 8n, 6 volt system side mount distributor. The generator is mounted on left side from seat view. Wondering if I would benefit replacing the generator with 6 volt alternator without changing anything else? Cost, charging, starting issues?

I have 3 Model A's all with 6v positive ground Nu Rex alternators. The primary reason for an alternator is these are cars driven on public roads at night. If you
have ever tried that w/ a generator and cut-out, you know what a PITA that is.

Putting a 6v alternator on a 8N will not give you much other than a quicker recharge on a battery. And you will need to fab brackets.

https://www.nurex.com/alternator-6-volt
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 09:09:51 11/22/22) I have ford 8n, 6 volt system side mount distributor. The generator is mounted on left side from seat view. Wondering if I would benefit replacing the generator with 6 volt alternator without changing anything else? Cost, charging, starting issues?

Just go 12v - they are dirt cheap and reliable.

TOH

Does the generator/charging system work? If so it's been good for 70 years why change now? An N tractor requires very little amperage to work and unless you wire in a sound system and a lot of lights the factory system is adequate.

Just my thoughts: The old 6v system is perfectly fine for the N series tractors if it is in working order. If you are having problems with it and it's not just wiring trouble, there is no reason NOT to update it to 12V. If you are handy, there is no reason to have to pay up to $300 for a 6V to 12V kit. It is easy to do and can be done with parts from your local parts store for well under $100.

If you update with a 1-wire alternator (internally regulated) then you eliminate one part (the regulator) that tends to be problematic on older vehicles. If you go with an externally regulated alternator, you must replace the regulator with a 12V regulator (although some folks run with the original regulator until it dies). If you have a side-distributor model, you can go with an internally resisted 12V coil and you don't even need a ballast resistor. With a front-distributor model you need a ballast resistor, but the one already on the tractor will work. Even the 6V coil and points will work for awhile. Finally, the conversion changes the system to negative-ground and makes jump starting the tractor from your pickup a lot less exciting. I have found the starters work just fine on 12V. Just don't run the starter too long or you can fry it.

Having said all that, before you decide to convert, make sure your wiring is not the issue. Replacing the entire wiring harness is a 1-hour, $20 job (automotive primary wire and connectors are getting expensive). Also, if you decide to convert, get an internally regulated alternator that is the lowest amperage rating you can find. Your tractor cannot possibly use more than 40 or so amps, unless as mentioned above, you have installed a high-wattage boom-box type sound system! NAPA currently has about a 70A reman unit on sale for under $70.

If you want to go with an alternator go 12 volts. Batteries cost half as much as a 6 volt one and can be found most any place. Plus the cost of a 12 volt alternator is less then half that of a 6 volt one

I put a 6 volt positive ground alternator on my 2N. It works great, didn't have to replace light bulbs etc. I don't have to worry about the starter drive getting stressed by a 12 volt system. As for brackets, they are readily available on this and other sites.

(quoted from post at 09:09:51 11/22/22) Wondering if I would benefit replacing the generator with 6 volt alternator without changing anything else? Cost, charging, starting issues?

Cost: Depends on Alternator cost. Certainly will cost more than a 12 volt negative ground alternator.

Charging: Any alternator will be a much improved upgrade over a generator. Charges at low rpms's, and has a consistent charge rate.

Starting issues: None

For 20 years here I have been arguing for
upgrading the electrics on those tractors.
The only reason I can think of to keep it
original is if you are sentimental - you
want to keep it just like Dad or Grandpa
had it.
But if you are going to do an upgrade don't
do it half way.
Go to 12 volts!

Naw, not sentimental; practical!
My 78 year old tractor runs on 6 volts as designed, perfectly.
Open fuel valve, turn key on, push the button; KERR-POW, fires up instantly.
If it aint broke, don't "fix" it!

I concur with Harry. Why? Is something 'wrong' with your 6V system? Non-starting? Either rewire your GEN to 12V or go all the way to a 12V setup with a 12V ALT and battery. There's nothing wrong with 12V if done for the right reasons, and there's nothing wrong with the OEM 6V POS GRN system either. FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to incorrect wiring. Whichever setup you use, the charging device must have a fan belt tensioning device installed. Without proper belt tension, the device can never charge the battery, simple as that. Use WIRING PICTOGRAMS by JMOR as your guide.

8N 12V SWITCHOVER ON THE ANGLE (SIDE) MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:
xQ2ojiTh.jpg

*PICTOGRAM courtesy of JMOR

OEM 8N WIRING(6V/POS GRN) AFTER S/N 8N-263844 WITH ANGLE (SIDE) MOUNT DISTRIBUTOR:
NWNKQAjh.jpg

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:
qI9P22kh.jpg

Tim Daley(MI)

There are great mechanics on this forum who can maintain their 6V N tractors for excellent service. I am not one of them. I switched to 12V with alternator and switched to electronic ignition six years ago and
my tractor starts and runs perfectly every time. I do not like to tinker with my ignition and electronics, I like to fish! Haven't had my distributor cap off since conversion. If you enjoy maintenance stay 6V
otherwise make the jump!

(quoted from post at 20:44:30 12/09/22) Listen to Bob in Tennessee.

i'll second this. i don't fish, but i have plenty of other hobbies. my arthritis tends to prefer most of them over working on machinery. i like my 12 volt EI 2N just fine.

(quoted from post at 19:33:33 11/22/22) I have 3 Model A's all with 6v positive ground Nu Rex alternators. The primary reason for an alternator is these are cars driven on public roads at night. If you
have ever tried that w/ a generator and cut-out, you know what a PITA that is.

Putting a 6v alternator on a 8N will not give you much other than a quicker recharge on a battery. And you will need to fab brackets.

https://www.nurex.com/alternator-6-volt
75 Tips

I am gonna guess you had to buy the correct pulley ?

I have know problem with a 6V alt : )

The brackets for a alt and the pulley can be brought on YT. Their bracket set can not be beat its nice. He can modify his old wiring are buy the 6V harness for his tractor and modify it to use for 6V are 12.

BTW is that the best price for a 6V alt.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back