Restoring farmall H 1947

Bigjoe84

New User
HI YALL,
I am restoring my papaws farmall H he loved this tractor but the motor is locked up because it got water in it. I was thinking about doing a turbo on it can anyone give me a few pointers on what would be best build to do.. I wasn't planning on working the tractor real hard anymore but I was worried about the ring wear with a turbo if I do decide to work it some and also how to maintain power in the low rams before the turbo builds up. Is there any build guides out there that can outline a build to follow..

Thanks yall and God bless!!
 
Hello Joe welcome to YT! I doubt there is any type of a build sheet for you to follow. If you go to the upper right a click the “Search glass” type in Farmall H Turbo a couple past projects of members will pop up, not sure how much info is there but something to look over. I would suggest web searching “Building a Farmall H engine for tractor pulling” That will likely bring up quite a few discussions down the lines you want to go. Often pullers like to over bore and increase the crank stroke of the engine. These types of modifications are probably not ideal for and engine that will be seeing turbo boost. Is the ring wear you are concerned about the “piston ring” wear? Not sure this will be a major problem. Might consider a chrome or moly top ring for better longevity. Make sure the rear end is gone through making sure the bearing are all good etc. this will help it last under the additional stress of if extra power. Keystone is a company that offers turbos for Farmalls. How much engine work have you done? Disassembling a rusted and stuck engine can turn into quite a task. It can be done. Some will probably be along to ask you why you want to disfigure and abuse your pawpas tractor, but myself all I can do is respect your decision and help you out the best I can. Also be fore warned tractor “refurbishing” I will call it, takes a lot of work and will be expensive, especially since you want to do some additional modifications.
 
I agree with used red MN. The drive line was well engineered for the HP in the original engine, If you stay with modest boost, it can work. Another issue is the 3thee main bearing crankshaft. In a tractor, turbo lag is just not important, Jim
 
Been trying to research ways I would like to rebuild this tractor papaw loved it cause when he got it.. it had more power than normal it would pull a 3 bottom ok and work it hard on a 4 bottom... also we would run grain wagons to mill with this H and it would run 33mph with a full grain wagon on the back.. when it got vandalized he left it set now he is gone and I wanted to retore it back but also give it the power he so loved it had.. it a memorial of him and our family farm.. I pulled the engine and it looks bad on the inside from the water damage just not sure what direction to go with it. That why I was looking for someone to help answer some questions and maybe help with a outline build I can go with since I'm doing it all myself.
 

Attachments

  • 20231226_143420.jpg
    20231226_143420.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109
  • 20231226_163240.jpg
    20231226_163240.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 159
  • 20231226_132723.jpg
    20231226_132723.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 118
33mph is quite far above the 18 it was normal to expect. It did have fire crater pistons, so modifications were in place. I do not recommend going faster than 20 for safety. Enjoy your project. Jim
 
33 mph on an H would be scary. Pulling a grain trailer at that speed would be downright horrifying! My Ms at 18 or so can be a handful.
 
I believe someone has heavily modified the gearing in this tractor... but anyway if I scratch the idea for a turbo would 40 hp be achievable with stock block head and crank?
 
With big bore sleeves, a set of high altitude (higher compression) pistons, a 350 carb and manifold some port matching, and maybe a puller camshaft grind, it can happen. after mods it might take fine tuning of timing and fuel delivery, premium fuel, and recurving the centrifugal advance to 20 degrees or so to avoid detonation. It could achieve the 40 hp range. Jim
 
I believe someone has heavily modified the gearing in this tractor... but anyway if I scratch the idea for a turbo would 40 hp be achievable with stock block head and crank?
I have some thoughts on your Grandpa’s claims. (I assume papaw is the same term) Since you are new here I will keep them to myself. I certainly believe that your Grandpa was likely proud of his H. To someone who may have farmed with horses a machine that would not tire or need a rest was indeed impressive.
I will give you this tip. Not sure what we are seeing down in the cylinders on top of the pistons. If it is water, the tip is if you want any kind of penetrating lube to get where it needs to be the water has to be completely removed from the cylinder. Dry out with rags and blow the final bit still around the pistons out with an air blower. Water is heavier than any oily penetrating concoction. So if there is water present the lube just floats on top of it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top