Results of 850 Valve Train Repacement were GREAT

I finally did a compression check on my 850 engine today, having completed the resto. Prior to resto compression was 105 / 95/ 100 / 85 psi for cylinders 1-2-4-3. Engine was not burning oil or smoking, no water in oil or oil in water. But I was not happy with compression. Lots of gasket leaks, so was going to remove head anyway. Did not do a leak down test (did not have the equipment). So I decided to do a valve job, figuring if that did not fix compression then I would do rings/pistons/sleeves later on. I replaced all new springs, all valves, retainers/keepers, valve guides, head gasket, etc. I did not have seats professionally ground but I did hand lap them with compound using the new valves. I also adjusted tappets. Condition was not that bad, just some carbon on the exhaust valve faces, no bent valves or push rods. Grommet for oil pick up was gone, so I replaced that as well. I did not think the valve job would fix the compression as there were no real problems visible. Here are the new compression figures done today, 130 / 125 / 110 / 125. The results were quite impressive and unexpected. IT manuals says new engine compression should be between 120 and 130 psi. I may have a ring problem with cylinder 4, but I can live with it. So, before you assume a full engine refurb is needed, you may want to think about starting with just the valve train. Thanks all to those who helped me on the resto, Larry. (God Bless our Troops).

Glad to here doing the valve job helped the engine that much. Just to clarify, the firing order is 1-2-4-3 however the cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 from front to back.

Mark

This is not to belittle you BUT my god why do folks haft arse a valve job... You were there had your hands on it why not have the seats ground to OEM spec then you would have been done with it even if you had to go back into it and do a ring job you could have set the head off and put it back on after the ring job... Now you got to do it again : (....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back