Rewiring 5010

big tee

Well-known Member
I bought a Deere 5010 awhile back and am changing it from 24 volts to 12. I bought a kit from a parts supplier but the instructions have a lot to be desired. I wired the starter according to the instructions but all it would do is click the remote solenoid. I called the place I bought it from and the first thing the guy asked me if the 5010 was a gas or diesel--I knew I was in trouble. I asked him about the big post on the end of the starter he said he would check into it. Two days later there was no answer so I called again and he said he would send me a new starter. Next morning it was here already-wow. Put it on-same think-CLICK. So I took the first new one and put it on my bench and made some jumper wires and started experimenting. I figured the starter was grounded through the case but when I grounded the big post on the end it came to life. There is no mention of the large post on the end of the starter in the instructions. So I called them and told them what I did he wanted a copy of the instructions. Grounded the one on the tractor and it works perfect. waiting for UPS to pick up the first one. Now I am doing the alternator---Tee
a171132.jpg

a171133.jpg

a171134.jpg

a171135.jpg
 
Hi Steve--its common on big trucks. that original big delco was a whopper to R&R. lot of weight. new replacement style a lot lighter.
 
They are near the same to convert as a 4020,,I don't use the kits,,the Iskra starter I use on 3020/4020 conversions has a ground post like yours, on them it is optional to use, the frame ground works just as well.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top