Right hip replacement surgery date

Keith Molden

Since my left hip is doing well, we have scheduled the right hip replacement for Jan 11th. It will be anterior replacement again. I had a joint replacement class yesterday and there was a fellow in there that has another surgeon that will do the posterior surgery on him, he says the Dr. said it will be 6 weeks before he can drive a car or do much of anything. he also says his leg will be a little shorter. I had none of that with my left hip surgery. First week with walker, 2nd week with cane and at the end of the 3rd week operating tractors and equipment. I know it isn't 100% healed and isn't completely grafted to the prosthesis so I watch what I'm doing and I figure it will be the same with the right one. I went to all my P.T. sessions and I do believe that helped me quite a bit. Keith

Isn't it nice to live in a time when medical interventions like joint replacements are routine? It wasn't that long ago that a bad hip was pretty much the end of the road.

Good luck!

Good to hear Keith. Am planning on my left one being done middle of Jan. Same anterior process. Previous dr was going to do posterior and the recovery sounded much longer than what my new guys is saying.

Tim

Good to hear, Keith. I had my right re-replaced back in June and I'm still having pain and lack of motion. A lot of it is from low back problems but that's getting better. The other side needs it too. Both sides got loose after 10 and 11 years. As for the fellow in your class, could be his overall physical condition for the doc's caution but if mine told me that I'd look for another surgeon.

Just do all ther physical therapy after the surgery and do the exercises they give you before the surgery. It will help those muscles get ready for the surgery. You might not be able to do all of them or not do them as fully as they describe, but do as much as you can and like my surgeon says, you have a Ferrari so use it, don't sit around, get up and walk.

Does not sound like January 11 will be a good day for either one of us, I have to go in and have two cat scans done to see what my cancer is doing.

My knee Dr. told me you are not suppose to drive for 6 weeks after a joint replacement. Supposedly some rule or law but not sure but is probably why they told your friend 6 weeks. Three weeks after I had my knee replaced I did the driving on a 1000 mile road trip to pickup a tractor I brought on line. Drove myself to therapy and everywhere else I needed to go. My Dr. never said a word about not driving until my 6 week checkup and then told me I could start driving. Although my replacement was on my left knee so not a big deal driving a automatic. I had a 3ft. stick I used on the clutch to drive a tractor.

That's great Keith. I suppose by the 4th week you were loading 16 tons of coal again. lol Loaded 16 tons and what did I get, another day older and deeper in debt (to the company store).

The no driving thing is just a doctor's cya thing in case someone has an accident. Like not operating heavy machinery after taking a pain killer.

The doctor might know what he's talking about.

When I was discharged from the hospital after the first surgery on my back the doctor told me not to drive a car for two weeks. About ten days later, we were going out to my wife's parents one evening, about seven miles, and I told my wife, "What the heck, I'll drive".

By the time we got to my wife's parent's house, I had to agree that the doctor knew what he was talking about. I still wasn't that comfortable driving.

Good luck! Mine are both 7 years old, done post. Cutting the muscle makes rehab longer and more difficult. I do just fine, get tired if I stand too long and am very careful about falling and jumping. Have trouble getting up off the ground and it seems like I am clumsy, but that could be 81 years of misusing my body! Harvested a deer last evening and got it cleaned and skinned all by myself.

Go easy on the pain pills....... bourbon is better!

Bill

Physical Therapy = Pain & Torture. That is the inside joke at therapy. I had a meniscus root repair Nov 10th. Other than having my left leg in a brace and locked straight for 30 days it has been a piece of cake. Best of outcomes for your hip.

Good luck with your hip. i had my left hip done anterior in May. Operating machinery in July, just got to be careful.

Yeah, I can see it now. Sitting and having to lift your leg to step on the brake may not be good for the back, especially in town and worse if you have a clutch and need to shift all the time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back