Rock Auto question

List is their inflated "retail" price that they use so they can make you feel special by giving you a discount.
Cost is their "discounted" price that you pay.
Extended is the "Cost" price times the quantity.
There is a left and a right caliper, so each will be listed separately.
Three different brake pad options, cheap, medium, expensive. You choose one.

Advance has different "levels" of parts. The difference is mostly in warranty coverage. More expensive parts have a longer warranty. Just get the cheapest options for your use.

Unless an emergency, I buy all my break and suspension parts from Ebay. Most come from Detroit Axle. Had very good luck with the parts and have their brakes on at least 8 vehicles. Some vehicles (my 15 Malibu) come from the factory with 2 different size rotors. It helps to know what yours measure in those instances. Parts always come in less than a week and shipping is always free.

My business has been selling to RockAuto for almost 15 years now. They are a logistics and IT company first, parts store second. They don't markup our parts very much, roughly 5-10%, but they receive incredible rates from FedEx Ground and other carriers. Their primary source of income is markup on shipping. High volume = more income.

Their website is a little dated and cumbersome, but the owner prefers simplicity as everything they do is "in-house." I've spoke with him a few times.

Any questions I would be glad to answer.

Advance auto, not much cheap to pick from.
2003 Dodge Dakota 4.7L 4x4 rear brakes

MKD963 brake pads $30.50
N1000652438API rotors $63.96 @
18-4873 caliper only no bracket left $53.20
18-4872 caliper only no bracket right $53.20
Total $264.82

Alternate # for rotors YH145420 $79.16 @

I've ordered stuff from them off and on for years. No issues really with the parts I got.

BUT, the last 2 times I ordered there were shipping issues. First case ordered some stuff and the tracking seemed to stall out mid trip. I made the mistake at that time of not filing a issue quick enough and was out the $$ and no parts.

Another order a few months later and seemed like the same thing happened. This time filed a issue and a new shipment was sent that I did get OK.

I am not sure it would be fair to blame RA as seems like a shipper problem. The first shipment that "stalled" I eventually got a couple of the items from it in a box w/o RA markings or label and I am guessing the original shipment was all in one box that got broke open and scattered and all they could ID and send on were 2 small items from the larger order. Dunno.

(quoted from post at 19:13:48 04/19/23) I just used Detroit Axle for new brakes on the front of my Taurus. Their pricing on Ebay is very good.

If the very bottom line and low quality parts satisfy you then by all means put your trust in Detroit Axle.

I put some of Detroit Axles lower end (cheap) parts on a clapped out truck I only ran for a couple of years and I put some of thier high end parts on our
Jeep that we drove for about 6 more years. I had no problems with either one. Just sayin'

(quoted from post at 18:02:26 04/19/23)
(quoted from post at 19:13:48 04/19/23) I just used Detroit Axle for new brakes on the front of my Taurus. Their pricing on Ebay is very good.

If the very bottom line and low quality parts satisfy you then by all means put your trust in Detroit Axle.

It's interesting that the ''Detroit Axle'' company being discussed here has nothing to do with the old/famous ''Timken Detroit Axle Company'' (now a part of Meritor, I think).

https://www.detroitaxle.com/about/

kinda late in the game on this one

I use their website mainly as a parts look up source. they have a pretty wide range of part quality from cheap to OEM. So I find the brand and quality i want then i take those part numbers and search in goooogle and see who has the best price. sometimes Rockauto, sometimes amazoon, sometime eebay sometimes others.

Rockauto's prices are almost ALways the lowest BUT their shipping often shoots them out of contention but sometimes the deal is so good their shipping doesn't matter. I have had 2 items in the cart and it looked like they both shipped from the same place location A for example. then i remember Oh, i need XYZ part as well so i went back and added that to the Cart and then all 3 parts showed up coming from 3 different locations so guess what? 3X shipping $ and the deal was no longer a deal.

I've never had a core with them so i don't know how that might work. I haven't had any trouble yet... one order Fedex took to the wrong house and i didn't know that of course. Rock auto you CANNOT talk to anyone and can only go thru their email issue system. luckily i found my parts but i don't have much faith in their return/resuolution system but again haven't had to actually use it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back