Rolling scrap bin

Ultradog MN

A garage fills up pretty fast.
A guy can haul in more than he can store so I try to be careful about space management.
One tool I like and use enough to justify keeping is this pallet jack.
But it does use quite a bit of floor space.
So I bought this 42x48in cage type metal pallet at an auction this week. It came with all those blue parts bins in the photo but I gave those away on craigslist.
So yesterday and this morning I cut the pallet apart and welded it back together so it's 28x48in and just fits on the pallet jack. And picked up all the scrap pieces of metal that were on shelves or the floor or in pails and boxes everywhere. This is all the small odds and ends a guy keeps for making or fixing things.
When I was a young man I looked forward to some day when I was old and could get my stuff better organized.
I guess I might be getting old cause I enjoyed doing this.
Park it out of the way and roll the pallet jack out when you need it.
My rolling scrap bin...

cvphoto131068.png

cvphoto131069.jpg

cvphoto131070.jpg

(quoted from post at 12:34:36 07/21/22)
How long will it be before there is so much scrap in it you can't find what you need. BTDT
hat has happened to me more times than I like to admit. I grew up in Dad's wrecking yard and like him, I just can not throw things away....I just build another shed or buy another shipping container. There are things in those that haven't seen the light of day in 20 years!

I have several cedar trees just outside the backdoor of my shop. A couple of wooden pellets placed under those trees provided a good place to store that "undesignated" inventory. The stuff that really has no value, but still too good to send to the scrap yard. Those cedar trees make a surprisingly good storage shed and keep a LOT of rain off the stuff underneath.

That would not even begin to hold just the pieces by the welder not counting all the iron piles around the sides of buildings for whatever use needed.

I have two pallet jacks but no space to roll them , I have many pallets but no Cedar trees and my new workshop is half the size of the old one . These last few weeks I've had to take three trailers full of really useful steel and countless other ' good things ' to the scrapyard :cry:

I like steel and metal.
Magnetic personality.
Iron attaches itself to you almost without you knowing it.
Cat Guy,
The more and bigger the better.
You with dozers have some cool things I'm sure.
I could have had a lot of steel for free in my life if I had a place to keep it.
Once I was offered a pair of 10x16x25' I beams. Flange was 3/4. Don't remember the web but heavy.
I could have contrived a way to haul them but had no place to bring them.
One of my regrets...
I live in the city now so you have to do it on a lighter scale. I know that rack will be too small soon enough though.
Here it's best to utilize the scrap.
I call it plain view hoarding.
Photo is of our deck.
Charles in Aus,
I wish I could have been there to relieve you of a few items.
Sounds like my kind of stuff.
A man's things are only valuable to another man.
Otherwise it's just scrap.
Thanks to all.

cvphoto131105.jpg

A maintenance free deck : )

I built two scrap bins that roll under tables they are so full I don't look in them anymore. Out under a shed I have three shelfs about 16 ft long its easy to spot what I need.

The fun odd stuff is left overs from My other brothers machine repair days with left over press parts and old clutches and scrap iron he made booms for fork lifts and such. Not to mention all the other regular scrap. Got some good iorn piles we use a lot of it mending things and making building things. I save some plates I use for pullers to pull pulleys and such on engines.

I am small time--my scrap consists of three 5 gal buckets. Two under a table: one to go to the transfer station, the other for small useable pieces. Beside the table is a bucket holding the bigger longer pieces upright.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back