Bruce Macoy

New User
The rotor seems to not fit very tightly in the distributor of my 8n. Is this normal and if not, do I need a new distributor. thanksl
 
Front or side distributor?

The side distributor needs a clip under the rotor.

And, there are plenty of off-shore junk rotors being sold today. Where did you get it?
50 Tips
 
Side distributor. I just bought the tractor. If there should be a clip under the rotor, then it should not just pull off? It has been more years than I care to remember, but what I remember of rotors. they were tight in the distributor.Where do I find good parts? Is it possible that the shaft it sits on is worn out? thanks
 
" Is it possible that the shaft it sits on is worn out? "

Lets see.........the shaft is made of steel....the rotor is plastic.

What do you think?

No, the problem is w/ the rotor or the absence of the clip.

Look very carefully; the clip is very small & sets on top of the shaft UNDER the rotor. It's p/n 12213.

If it's there, then the problem is the rotor.

Where did you get it?

I know nnalert's has quality parts for N's; so does NAPA (numbers below) & this site.

So, put a clip on it if it's missing or get another rotor. don't worry about the shaft.

Side-Mount Distributor:
Points:
NAPA #CS749
NAPA HEAVY DUTY PIERCED (ventilated) #CS753
Standard Ignition #FD-8081
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD-8081X (Premium)
Condensor:
NAPA #FA66
Standard Ignition #FD-75
Standard Ignition Blue Streak #FD75X (Premium)
Rotor:
NAPA #FA67
Standard Ignition #FD-108
Distributor Cap:
NAPA #FA352
Standard Ignition #FD-128
50 Tips
 
I wish to add to Bruce's recommendations. It is generally accepted around there that Standard Blue Streak points ring the bell, then comes Echlin and New Holland. If you end up needing the rotor clip, I suggest you see your New Holland dealer and pick up a tune up kit from them. Get the New Holland kit because it will have the clip. Don't get a Tisco if they try to push them. Their points are generally inferior.
 
A strip of thin cardboard (matchbook cover) placed between the flat part of the shaft and the corresponding flat of the rotor will work. I used this setup for years until I replaced the rotor and got the clip with the new one.'


Jess
 
I have a firm rule.Always work on the part that costs less.The clip will stay on the distributor shaft.If you take the dust cover off you will have to remove the clip first.Rotors do wear.Some new parts are junk.A new rotor that is too long may break the cap.
 
The tranny in my 8n has water in it. Is it okay to flush the system with kero? If so should I operate it for a short time or not or just drain it and refill? thanks for the info
 
You can use diesel or kerosene to clean it. Use a hand sprayer to soak it down real good. After that, take your hand (gloved) and clean out all the accumulated sludge in the belly of that 8n. It may take some time to complete. (Hour or so.) Also, to do it right. I suggest dropping the pump, and if you have a helper or engine lift, you could remove the cover hydraulic cover to get at it better. You will need a new gasket for whatever you remove.

Finally, DO NOT RUN THE PUMP WITH KEROSENE OR DIESEL. They don't have the lubrication needed to keep the pump from seizing up.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top