Running a welder on a Winpower Alternator

John949

New User
I could use a portable welder around the farm but at the moment I can't justify the cost. I have an opportunity to buy a solid looking 25 KW Winpower alternator at a good price. It's got the power to run my Lincoln 225 Amp welder but I'm not sure what I will need in the way of engine control. Portable welders that I've used change engine rpm based on whether I'm welding or not. Can I just set the tractor engine to the needed rpm for welding and let it run at that speed? Or will I need someone on the tractor to change speed to keep the output of the welder within the proper limits? Thanks.

I have a Winpower 25/15 alternator. I usually run it with a little old gas tractor. I have taken it and my welder to the field. It took a little experimenting to get the throttle set so that under load voltage was correct. Power is not an issue, but I think a higher speed fuel injected [diesel] engine is able to maintain speed more precisely. The governor on the old slow speed gas engine is quick to respond, but not precise at holding a speed as the governor in an injector pump.

I run one of my older welders in a 25KW alternator with either an 800 Ford gas or DB990. The welder hardly changes the speed of the engine when striking an arc.

Portable welders don't change engine speed for welder output, it's just to save fuel and engine wear. They idle back when there's no load, but when you strike an arc it senses load and throttles up. A 25kw alternator will have no problem with your welder - I would just set your tractor throttle so your getting the correct output voltage and leave it there.
Pete

PTO units do not change speed. Same speed all the time. A portable welder will idle down. When not welding. But will come up to speed
to weld.

I have a 25/45 kw Winpower. Whenever it"s used, I just throttle up the tractor until the voltmeter is in the green part of the gauge.

Well I'd never run a welder off the Generac again ! One arc and the electronic voltage regulator went poof ! Your results may vary !

The generator needs to run at a set speed continously.

Most gas welders nowdays have load sensors that will idle the engine down once it detects that the load has been cut or reduced.

Your 220 volt outlet puts out a steady volt and amp supply. It does not matter what the electric welder is doing the supply stays the same.. Gas Generator is no different unless it to has an auto idle curcuit. Which would bring the engine speed back up once it deteted a load change.. PTO generator would run a set rpm no matter what the load is.

The alternator should be run at PTO speed, I put a frequency meter on mine, set it at 60, then check the voltages.

One big tip to warn you about. Weld just a tiny bit just to see how things are
going. Weld a little longer and check everything again. You want to watch out
for your generator. My dad totally fried one doing just what you are asking
about. Check the generator for getting HOT! Welders pull a heck of a lot of
power. If the generator case is getting warm stop for an hour and let it cool
down.

(quoted from post at 13:08:46 03/11/19) I have a 25/45 kw Winpower. Whenever it"s used, I just throttle up the tractor until the voltmeter is in the green part of the gauge.
DavidG has the correct info on how to set the generator RPM. If you don’t have a frequency meter , these work well.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kill-A-Watt-Electricity-Monitor-P4400/202196386

Important note here- the OP is talking about running a welder off a 25kw PTO ALTERNATOR, not a gas powered self contained 3500 or 5000 watt generator. Big difference.

My field welder for years was a Lincoln 225 run off a 30 amp point on a 7.5 kva gen set. Ran 2.5 and 3.1 mm rods fine - never tried (or needed) anything heavier.

On a 25 kw you'll just have to get it to correct voltage and frequency and it will breeze it in.

Mine is no longer in use - after about 40 years the Lincoln let the smoke out

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back