Rusted Ford 800

Hello I am new here. Do forgive me if I didn't post this in the right place. My Dad has a Ford 800 tractor that's been in the family for awhile and has sat nearly 2 decades due to missing wire diagram. He had converted to 12 volt and replaced a few things. I have decided to try and fix it but (at this point) the rust is winning. We couldn't get the engine unstuck and now the steering wheel won't turn. We have soaked the steering and engine cylinders in oil. No luck. Please help. Wish there was someone that could come and help us in Middle TN.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20260920_150643613.jpg
    IMG_20260920_150643613.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20260920_150719033.jpg
    IMG_20260920_150719033.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20260920_150632462.jpg
    IMG_20260920_150632462.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can not come to help you, but from the looks of it, you need to roll up your sleeves. I doubt very seriously you will get that running without an engine over haul.

First thing I would do is pull the engine oil drain plug and see if there is any oil in it. Let it drain and see how much water you get out. Same with the other plugs you will find under it.

I have an old 860, different transmission than yours, but it is a very good tractor. If you need a tractor, and have the desire to learn, like they say, "the bones are good".
 
Can not come to help you, but from the looks of it, you need to roll up your sleeves. I doubt very seriously you will get that running without an engine over haul.

First thing I would do is pull the engine oil drain plug and see if there is any oil in it. Let it drain and see how much water you get out. Same with the other plugs you will find under it.

I have an old 860, different transmission than yours, but it is a very good tractor. If you need a tractor, and have the desire to learn, like they say, "the bones are good".
Thank you for your reply. I am starting to realize to that this will have to be a budget restoration. Just because of all the rust and how long it sat. Definitely only will be worth it for sentimental value. I know it had good oil on the dipstick and we filled the cylinders. Definitely need to drain it and bore scope it.
 
Thank you for your reply. I am starting to realize to that this will have to be a budget restoration. Just because of all the rust and how long it sat. Definitely only will be worth it for sentimental value. I know it had good oil on the dipstick and we filled the cylinders. Definitely need to drain it and bore scope it.
Oil does little of nothing to free up a stuck engine. If you can wick the oil that is in it out and fill with ATF which will both clean the cylinders but also seep past the rings and help free them up. If it has or had water in any of the cylinders them good chance the only way it will free up is to take the whole engine apart. As for help giving a location would help us know if one of us could help you
 
I acquired a Model A doodlebug a few years ago that had been sitting outside for 20 years. The engine was stuck. I took the head off and sprayed the cylinders with Blaster every day for awhile. One day I put a socket and breaker bar on the front of the crank , gave it a tug, and it turned. It isn't hopeless.
 
Oil does little of nothing to free up a stuck engine. If you can wick the oil that is in it out and fill with ATF which will both clean the cylinders but also seep past the rings and help free them up. If it has or had water in any of the cylinders them good chance the only way it will free up is to take the whole engine apart. As for help giving a location would help us know if one of us could help you
Thank you for your time. We did use transmission fluid and marvel mystery oil. Yeah I am starting to realize I didn't have reasonable expectations of a quick revival.
 
The steering sounds like it's at the bottom end or your issues. Suggest you jack it up, take the weight off the front end, lube any fittings and see if it frees up as you fiddle with it providing some encouragement to the stuck points pounding, vibrating, heating (where it will not damage any rubber seals) etc. You can likely take each component in the steering system apart and free them up. Stuck engine - be patient. A lot of good advice on multiple forums. Let the juice do it's thing and keep trying to turn it occasionally. Wish you luck keeping it in the family and seeing it live
 
you put a socket n' wrench on the alternator nut and try jangling that to and fro while pressin on the belt? (dun worry the nut wont hurt itself, its held by an inner allen) take out the plugs and get a cheepo borscope from online and peek around in there :LOL: might need a belt on that water pump n alternator first now that i peek at your pictures (the scope will help get finger lickin good TDC later on when you set tappets as well)
 
you put a socket n' wrench on the alternator nut and try jangling that to and fro while pressin on the belt? (dun worry the nut wont hurt itself, its held by an inner allen) take out the plugs and get a cheepo borscope from online and peek around in there :LOL: might need a belt on that water pump n alternator first now that i peek at your pictures
Unfortunately the alternator is seized. We took out the plugs and tried to put a socket on the main crank. Not a lot of room. Definitely won't budge. We had to cut and remove the belt as it was in the way and hard.
 
The steering sounds like it's at the bottom end or your issues. Suggest you jack it up, take the weight off the front end, lube any fittings and see if it frees up as you fiddle with it providing some encouragement to the stuck points pounding, vibrating, heating (where it will not damage any rubber seals) etc. You can likely take each component in the steering system apart and free them up. Stuck engine - be patient. A lot of good advice on multiple forums. Let the juice do it's thing and keep trying to turn it occasionally. Wish you luck keeping it in the family and seeing it live
Yeah we was only trying to free the steering so it can be moved to the garage. I will definitely try and take a different approach. I'll try and check out the other forums.
 
Unfortunately the alternator is seized. We took out the plugs and tried to put a socket on the main crank. Not a lot of room. Definitely won't budge. We had to cut and remove the belt as it was in the way and hard.
ya id just get a crummy $30-50 borscope and just take a look in there atleast youll get a few pictures of what youre truly dealing with somewat unless you just plan on halving that walnut block early
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top