S.O.S tractor locked up

petertay

I posted a few questions about this on May 30 and got lots of help.
A few more questions about this SOS:
First, there doesnt seem to be a normal serial #. On the face of the transmission by the starter, CDC is stamped with 3 below that. Anybody know how to read that?

Second, the traction coupling sleeve would not move, so I drained the oil and took the cover plate off. Inside all looked well, but it took a lever with good pressure to push the sleeve forward. Now in the forward position, it wont slide back. Something is badly wrong! The splined shaft twisted?

Third, with spark plugs removed, the flywheel will not budge, so the engine is locked up. I suppose next step is take the pan off to see what there is to see. Ill have to decide to put some money into it or part it out. It is not a FEL tractor. No PS and no external hydraulics.
Would love to get comments for you all. Peter

On the traction coupling, you can't have any tension on the driveline or it will be difficult to move. Try jacking one rear wheel off the ground, or rock the tractor back and forth while moving the lever, and see if that helps.

Thank you for the suggestion Bern. Once the coupling was moved forward, the tractor was pushed up onto a trailer and hauled to my place. So tension is not the issue, but the coupling still wont move.

So you're saying that the coupler is currently disconnected from the driveline? If so, I can see no good reason why it won't move now, unless you need to align the splines. Sometimes I need to rock my tractor back and forth to get the splines to align.

Was there any rust on the shaft? Those splines are a fairly tight fit when clean so anything that gets in the gap will gum up the movement. If it has been sitting for a while, and depending on how bad the humidity gets where you are, I have seen shafts that have not been submerged in the oil bath start to flash rust as the oil barrier eventually breaks down and condensation forms. Fun stuff to deal with when dealing with old iron that has sat around and not been heated up enough to drive out the moisture on a regular basis. Good luck with it.

I appreciate the comments. Certainly doesnt appear to be any rust. The oil level was full, but I dont know if the coupler was submerged.

The splines the coupler slide on are machined in such a way that they taper away at the end of the machining. If the coupler gets slammed against the taper it can get real stuck. Use a bar thru the side cover 'with authority' to free the coupler.

Make sure the coupler hasn't slide back on the transmission shaft to wedge on the beginning of the splines, which are tapered ,That coupler can stick real bad at the taper. Just a thought

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back