Satellite TV expert needed

Butch(OH)

Working on a new patio and got into the satellite TV cable and cut it. Wife calls dish net and they say two weeks to get here and fix,, grr, doesn't bother me but makes wife hard to get along with. So I go to town and get a couple cooax connectors, and installed them per instructions so she could have TV until they get here to install new cable but the TV still says no signal? Cable isn't cut anywhere else and I am certain that I installed the ends correctly, I cut them off an did it twice. We rebooted the system several times to no avail, anyone with knowledge of these things know what is going on? Thanks!!

Go into the box’s information menu and check the signal strength . Unhook the cable at the dish and at the box . Is it shorted between the out braid and the center conductor ? How many ohms does it read ?
If both ends of the cable can be brought close together . What is the resistance of the Center conductor end to end .

At the risk of offending, you do know that the braided/foil shield is one of the conductors was well as the center wire, right? Must make contact with connector shell.

Do a web search on "Splicing RG6 cable".

It is easy to do but kind of hard to explain. The center conductor aka the "stingers" needs to be long enough for the barrel splice connector. And no part of the outer braided shield wires or foil (quad sheilded cables) can be touching the stinger or your signal will be lost.

No offense at all, appreciate all advise. Will double check everything later today. Thanks!

Is it possible the cable has been replaced before?

Maybe you are splicing an abandoned cable and the live one is near by unseen.

I would assume that, in addition to carrying signal INTO the house, the coax also carries power out the the LNB at the dish.

When you cut it, or if you spliced it while still connected to the receiver you MAY have caused a temporary short between the center wire and the shield and damaged the power supply in or at the receiver. Don't supposed it would be as simple as a fuse, npwadays.

Will check that out too, the vast knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me, thanks all!

(quoted from post at 15:37:03 05/21/18) I would assume that, in addition to carrying signal INTO the house, the coax also carries power out the the LNB at the dish.

When you cut it, or if you spliced it while still connected to the receiver you MAY have caused a temporary short between the center wire and the shield and damaged the power supply in or at the receiver. Don't supposed it would be as simple as a fuse, npwadays.

That'd be my bet.....if I was a bettin man. :mrgreen:

(quoted from post at 17:26:44 05/21/18)
(quoted from post at 15:37:03 05/21/18) I would assume that, in addition to carrying signal INTO the house, the coax also carries power out the the LNB at the dish.

That'd be my bet.....if I was a bettin man. :mrgreen:
F I were betting, I would bet that the power supply is short circuit protected.

Do not have voltage on the center wire. Checked it from center wire to outer shielding and at the splitter box and then back at the source. Can't find a reset but need to get another set of eyes on it.

Well the wife called the dish outfit and got another person. He got into our box remotely and fixed whatever was keeping it from powering the center wire and it works now.

(quoted from post at 20:01:01 05/21/18) Well the wife called the dish outfit and got another person. He got into our box remotely and fixed whatever was keeping it from powering the center wire and it works now.

They said 2 weeks to get out. I'll bet if you had called wanting to buy their satellite they would have been out there next day.

I had a Directv for 13 years, about 10 years in, didn't work. Called them, rep said to unplug the receiver for a minute and then plug it in and power up. Fixed it. It just needed a reboot. This was before I had much computer experience.

I had my dish cable replaced Sunday. Had a new gas line(1800 ft.) installed a couple weeks ago. Been without gas service since mid February. Line was put down in 1965. Anyway, I had marked all the sewer and drain lines and the old gas line but totally forgot about the satellite cable. I was without it for 2weeks and didn?t miss it at all.

I attempted to repair the cable but the outer jacket on RG6Q buried cable gets hard as a brickbat after a couple years and the tech installed new orange RG cable. The sad part was, after he had dug the slit trench for the cable( it was 90deg.hot) I suddenly remembered I had an edger attachment for my Stihl trimmer that I could have cut the trench with.🙄

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back