MF294-4

Member
Just got a 9x36 south bend lathe. Probably a 40’s or 50’s year model. I have worked at the business for 52 years and it has never been used. Not in real good shape now. I would like to paint it original color. Does anyone know what color they were? Some shade of blue?
 
Just got a 9x36 south bend lathe. Probably a 40’s or 50’s year model. I have worked at the business for 52 years and it has never been used. Not in real good shape now. I would like to paint it original color. Does anyone know what color they were? Some shade of blue?
i have a 13 x 72in that was built in 1942. i believe it still wears it's original paint, which is grey.
 
Sounds like my small lathe, mine is also grey. I believe mine Ison the 40’s time frame also. Trying to remember but I believe some of the newer ones were green but can’t say for sure.
 
I tore my south bend heavy ten apart to put new felts in it. It was built 1941, the original color was gray, I used rustoleum smoke gray to repaint it. That color was very close to original. You could see original paint on different areas when I tore it apart.
 
If you aren't familiar with lathes, two things. First, the booklet by SB, How To Run A Lathe, would be a must, has all you need to get started. Available on line to read or download I think. Second, there is NOTHING on the lathe oil will hurt, but lack of oil will. Especially the main headstock bearings. If it moves oil it. And one helpful tip. If you take the headstock apart when you put it together replace the belt with a gear belt or timing belt turned inside out with the teeth on the outside. Runs silent, has excellent traction when kept oil free as it should be.
 
I've got a 14-40 lathe that was line shaft driven, and now has a Ford Transmission and an electric motor.
 
Just got a 9x36 south bend lathe. Probably a 40’s or 50’s year model. I have worked at the business for 52 years and it has never been used. Not in real good shape now. I would like to paint it original color. Does anyone know what color they were? Some shade of blue?
The book.
If you are a machinist ignore this!!! South Bend Lathe Produced a booklet called How to run a Lathe. Very specific useful info, and designed around your lathe! Jim
 
It looks like what the old tool cabinets were painted. I guess you could call it a dark gray. I have not found any info on it. Tag has catalog #40 5-y and no serial #. No serial # stamped in the ways. I do have a Sheldon Sebastian lathe. I am a YouTube educated machinist. No disrespect to real machinest. I can make drivers and bushings which comes in handy.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
Just got a 9x36 south bend lathe. Probably a 40’s or 50’s year model. I have worked at the business for 52 years and it has never been used. Not in real good shape now. I would like to paint it original color. Does anyone know what color they were? Some shade of blue?
Note that the serial number is generally stamped on the top of the right end of the bed. Grizzly Machinery has the old records of South Bend. Get on their website & sluth around for the South Bend archives. For $25, they'll send ya a copy of the line item in the old ledger books as to when it was shipped, and to who (which is generally a machinery dealer). Found out my 16 x 60 is a 1922 !
 
Just got a 9x36 south bend lathe. Probably a 40’s or 50’s year model. I have worked at the business for 52 years and it has never been used. Not in real good shape now. I would like to paint it original color. Does anyone know what color they were? Some shade of blue?

Did someone mention South Bend Lathes?
I just bought Five of them at a school auction.
Will be bringing them home on Monday.
All the same -13"
They're later ones with D1-4 cam lock spindles. I don't know when they started using that.
 

Attachments

  • 1352-1.jpg
    1352-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 118
According to me:
That ol' SB 9C is a wee bit older. My neck stuck way out, it's was built in the 30's or maybe the real early 40's.
I haven't fully worked out when the spindle oilers moved from the top to the side for wick oiling.
But in 1941 the oilers were on the side.
You know this already but clean out the spindle oiler holes on top perfectly. Then oil.
If those holes for the spindle bearings are threaded, it may be easier to install BIG threaded cup oilers or even drip oilers.

With that gearing setup, was it used for cutting spirals/helixes on shafting? That lead screw is gonna spin!
Is there even a mounting bolt for reversing tumblers?
Find S Wells on his site or he's on practical machinist in the SB lathe section. He's one of the gurus about SB and should find your catalog number to say what it's options were etc. Look for wswells for good info too.

I have a 1928 9C and really like the fact it's so quiet when running. This one is red for the electrical repair industry.
With yours, Id take a scrub brush and wd-40 after it to pop the color but that's me.
Keep us informed.
 
Last edited:
It looks like what the old tool cabinets were painted. I guess you could call it a dark gray. I have not found any info on it. Tag has catalog #40 5-y and no serial #. No serial # stamped in the ways. I do have a Sheldon Sebastian lathe. I am a YouTube educated machinist. No disrespect to real machinest. I can make drivers and bushings which comes in handy.


Would those gears on the lathe be a 50 and 127 tooth for metric threading?
 
With a few exceptions that work, turning metric threads needs a metric lead screw, and gear set. Jim

With "translation gears" an English leadscrew lathe can cut metric threads. Some of the How To Run A Lathe booklets have the gear chart necessary, it it done with the standard gears or settings and the translation gears. I believe the Logan web site also has charts for standard geared and quick change lathes too. One hundred twenty seven and 50 is an exact translation ratio but there are several that are close and don't need the large 127 tooth gear. I haven't needed to cut metric threads so far and don't have any translation gears but have read a little about it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top