Schebler carb differences between TE/TO 20 vs 35

Sum~Guy

New User
There seem to be a few different Schebler-looking carbs available for the TE-20 and TE-35 tractors.

I'm only interested in knowing about the Schebler carbs, not the Zenith carbs.

A short (and probably incomplete) list of the stock or model numbers for these are:

533969M91
181532M92
183576M91
194065M91
181644M1
S.69198

I'm primarily interested in knowing what was different in the engines between the TE-20 and TE-35 (or TO-20 vs TO-35) such that a different carb is required.

Besides possible differences in mounting-stud spacing, carb air-intake and manifold-intake throat diameters, was there a difference in, say, engine displacement that would mean that these carbs are not interchangeable between the 20 and 35 tractors?

What I am specifically doing is looking for the least expensive carb to replace the Zenith on a TEA-20. I see some of these Schebler-looking carbs available for under $50 and I know the mounting studs are slightly different and they might advertised for TE or TO-35 hence I want to know why they wouldn't work on a TEA-20 (after modifying the mounting holes).

There is probably a difference in the throttle bore and the venturi size, but having an adjustable
main jet, chances are there would not be any noticeable performance difference.

Study the geometry of the throttle linkage carefully. The length of the arm from the pivot to the
center line of the throttle shaft, and the angle in relation to the plate is critical for the
governor to work properly.

the major difference between the carbs is due to the the increased engine airflow capacity due to higher engine displacement and bigger intake valves. This necessitated a larger venturi area and changed jetting as airflow capacity increased. I believe the TSX carb body castings are all the same however.

I've received the Schebler carb and see that there is not enough room under the mounting flange for one of the nuts from the intake manifold studs. So I can't simply drill out the existing holes in the carb flange. I'm now going to make a couple of plates out of aluminum, bolt one to the intake and another to the carb, then bolt the plates together. I can't easily find an on-line source for an aftermarket adapter flange.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back