Sediment Bowl Gasket and Screen Shopping

Glenn F.

My VAC; SC, and DC all need new sediment bowl screens and gaskets (all three take the same size). Do any of you know of a single source for rubber gasket and framed screen? I would really like to avoid a cork gasket and floppy screen with no frame.

The seat on the bottom of the metal sediment bowl measures 2 diameter and what appears to be 5/16 center where fuel enters. Bowl has a countersunk area at opening measuring 1-3/4. What is that space for? Beginning from the bottom is the sequence: glass bowl, screen, gasket, and then metal base? I seems to me a properly sized framed screen would fit nicely in the countersunk area.

I have had some trouble stopping gas leaks in the past and am wondering if I had things assembled in the wrong order.

Thank you,
Glenn F.

I've had good luck with the cork gaskets I get from O'Reilly's and try to keep a couple on hand at all times

not correct,.. screen goes on first then the gasket then the bowl. absolutly nothing wrong with cork gaskets. i but them at peavy mart in a package with 15 at a time for just over 20.00.
cvphoto123688.jpg

oops i may be wrong, screen might fit in bowl first. then gasket just hard visualizing with out it in front of me. but anyhow it easy to figure out. cause there might be both ways.?

Cork is the best. First of all put the bowl up in the unit and see if it fits without rocking back and forth. If it rocks much it will be difficult to seal.

But what I always do is put assembly together, turn gas on, it will most likely leak. Turn gas off and let it set for several hours so gasket can soak and form fit. Might even have to retighten it a few days later because cork compresses a lot to take up for imperfections.

Have you tried CaseIH dealer as that size sounds like what H or M or many others use with screen supported inner and outer edges. Smaller tractors like a C use smaller assembly, non supported screen also.

I have had some trouble stopping gas leaks in the past and am wondering if I had things assembled in the wrong order.

I am not gonna say wrong order... The screen has to be trimmed down so it does not interfere with sealing between the cork and bowl housing. Its gonna seal between the glass and cork any screen that protrudes into the sealing area will leak between the cork and housing.

(quoted from post at 17:00:47 04/21/22) My VAC; SC, and DC all need new sediment bowl screens and gaskets (all three take the same size). Do any of you know of a single source for rubber gasket and framed screen? I would really like to avoid a cork gasket and floppy screen with no frame.

The seat on the bottom of the metal sediment bowl measures 2 diameter and what appears to be 5/16 center where fuel enters. Bowl has a countersunk area at opening measuring 1-3/4. What is that space for? Beginning from the bottom is the sequence: glass bowl, screen, gasket, and then metal base? I seems to me a properly sized framed screen would fit nicely in the countersunk area.

Thank you,
Glenn F.

"Bowl has a countersunk area at opening measuring 1-3/4. What is that space for?"

That's where the screen fits, ESPECIALLY when using the "framed" ones.

Not ALL glass sediment bowls have that "countersunk" area, though, some are just flat on the top face.

With that type, I think the best chance of getting them to seal it to use a simple brass screen on TOP of the gasket.

Only drawback with cork is the ethanol some fuels have. The cork is bonded with shellac and ethanol-alcohol-damages that bond, causing shrinkage when you shut the gas off at the tank.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back