Seek a machine because of the engine?

Hello folks, new here..

Ive been researching which machines used the cummins 4bt (4T-390) because I have experience with a few 6bt's. I need a machine for my tiny acreage to build a stick built garage and have been leaning towards a backhoe rather than a skid steer both available with a 4bt.

But anyway, is it wise to "seek a machine because of the engine?" And what other non epa regulated engines have reputations that equal the 4bt? Yeah, third post and I opened one..

Thanks!

Sure I know people who would only buy equipment with Detroits because they had parts and years of experience with them. I don’t want anything with an Onan because parts are too expensive and hard to find

Hello folks, new here..

Ive been researching which machines used the cummins 4bt (4T-390) because I have experience with a few 6bt's. I need a machine for my tiny acreage to build a stick built garage and have been leaning towards a backhoe rather than a skid steer both available with a 4bt.

But anyway, is it wise to "seek a machine because of the engine?" And what other non epa regulated engines have reputations that equal the 4bt? Yeah, third post and I opened one..

Thanks!
We have a 580 super L and a 450c at work both have a 4bt engine If i am not mistaken. I also think they are based on the 5.9 just missing 2 cylinders. At least they eat water pumps and take the same pump as a 5.9
Nate

Nothing wrong with picking a machine based on what it uses as a power unit. Myself, I would be more likely to avoid a certain machine due to a reputation issue.

There are many models of engine out there that can provide good service. A few years ago, I bought a 420D Cat TLB. There were 2 reasons I went with that model. 1, it was the last model built with minimal electronics. 2, I have a really good dealer locally. The closest store doesn’t stock a lot of backhoe parts, but one of their other stores I think has everything minus the frame, I can get anything I need next day on their parts shuttle.

Thanks everyone.

I would be more likely to avoid a certain machine due to a reputation issue.

I bought a 420D Cat TLB. There were 2 reasons I went with that model. 1, it was the last model built with minimal electronics. 2, I have a really good dealer locally.

Which ones were the lemons? Maybe that should have been the question.

I'm getting the feeling the cummins engines aren't as big a deal in the tractor industry as they were in the rams..

Thanks everyone.

I'm getting the feeling the cummins engines aren't as big a deal in the tractor industry as they were in the rams..
They are primarily used in Case, CaseIH, and New Holland equipment because those engines were jointly developed by Cummins and Case as CDC (Consolidated Diesel Company).

The earlier models with the case engines were great machines as well. That case engine was a great engine too.

Thanks everyone.

When Ram put the Cummins engine in a pickup, it was really something as they started with an industrial engine. All of their competition to that point had been using automotive diesels, some with more success than others. When you look at industrial equipment, most mfrs start with an industrial engine to begin with. There have been a few automotive diesels used in industry over the years with lackluster results, 3208 Cat, 555 Cummins to name a couple.

From the little experience I have with TLBs, Ford had more issues with their torque converter drive than others. I’m not aware of any that had major engine problems. Case, Deere, and Cat all built good reliable machines. The older Deere’s I hear can be an issue to get parts. I would stay away from MF/Terex for lack of parts and support now and further in the future.

Your budget will be the biggest determining factor in what brands/models you can consider.

Hello folks, new here..

Thanks!
My previous boss had a Casev580 Super E with the 4 B naturally aspirated engine. He also had a Case 550 dozer and a 95 XT skid steer with the 4 BT. I have a White American 60 Farm tractor which has the 4 B Cummins.

Thanks everyone.

I think the difference is there were a lot more reliable inline 4s and 6s in the tractor world so yeah not that specifically special. And yes there are certain things to stay away from in that world. 7 cylinder engines come to mind. I am pretty sure ill be looking for your same 4bt here shortly just be planning to yank it out of whatever it’s in and throw it in a little pickup.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back