Separating hay elevator chain?

tractorsam

I am working on a McCormick Deering thrashing machine and need to remove the feed chain. The chain is very similar to what's on my hay elevator. First off does this type of chain have a name? Next and most important is there an easy way to separate it? On my elevator I had to grind one of the openings slightly oversize before I could get it together but it seems there should be a better way. It's in an awkward place and I can't really hammer sideways on the chain at all. Thanks, Sam

thats the way you do it to remove and put back together need to move the links so they can slide out and in by using a hammer not fun if you havent done it before

Typically called flat chain, or flat detachable chain. There is a cast iron tool designed for making it easier to take apart and reassemble. It can be done with ordinary tools (hammer and punch/chisel) but the tool makes it much easier, especially in tight spaces. google "detachable chain tool". You need to loosen the chain tightener before working on the chain- it should give you enough slack.

They fit very tight and need to be hammered apart. You can do it with a plyers or vice grip or they make a tool for it. Most fleet or farm stores sell the tool. This is a pic of the tool from shoup.
a171069.jpg

My Dad used to have an old cast tool with a variety of slots in it and a handle. You could drop one link in the slot, and pull on the handle to get the link next to it lined up to the slot in the captured link. Then you can swat the link through the slot in the captured link. Made it a lot easier, and kept me from hitting my fingers with the hammer! Wish I had a photo of it, as this isn't a very good explanation of how easy it worked. Maybe someone else on here actually has this tool.....

Little bit of art to it.

Loosen the chain.

Fold it over on a chain detacher or a bit of iron used as an anvil, and whack the other link with a hammer, should come apart pretty easy once you get the knack of it.

Some few elevators that are hard to get to have a mender link in them, with a pin and cotter key.

Paul

Been bracing them against whatever I could find and beating on them for more years than I care to remember. Wish I had known about that tool! Will be getting one, now that manure spreading season is approaching.

It's been a long time since I detached one, but I seem to remember some chains went better to one side, because there was more clearance provided.

Once you see the tool and how it works you will realize an ordinary claw hammer will work about as good. I have a couple of the tools around here but anymore the hay conveyor is the only thing I have left with flat chain so I keep it tied on there. If I new where the other one is, you could have it.

I have that style plus a different style and neither one was any good, easier to do it without the tool, don't waste your money on it.

Loosen chain, flex links so sides line up with the gap, use anvil and hammer.

There is an art to it, I can often separate in couple swings of the hammer if lined up right.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back