Serial Numbers on Gleaner E'

cleddy

Member
So now I am Curious if the Serial Numbers on Gleaner E represent how many were built? The parts combine bought new in 1964 is serial # 9659 and the later one I am working on is #16263 and it appears to have some improved features? I wonder how many were built from 1962 to 1968 so I can date the one I am working on. Hope I get it running in time to try it on some standing corn-If not the renter leaves enough to pick some up and try shelling it out. Of course I don't know how to sset it for corn compared to soybeans?? Cleddy
 
open the cylinder up to 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch at 500 rpm, seive at 3/8 inch chaffer at 3/4 inch and adjust from there

ben
 
Thanks for the information. That put mine at 1964 which I thought was right and the new one at 1966. There are so many repairs and little modification on these it hard to tell what is original. We had a lot of side hill work so the whole upper platform would start breaking and had to be reinforced with more structure from the axle up. Also put electrical switches and retaining wires to indicate if belts or chains came off or were not turning. The bottom of the feeder must have started failing as it is reinforced with big steel clamps. cleddy
 
Thanks for that information. We were using this machine only for soybeans and the cylinder scales indicate almost no clearance (1/4-3/8') at the most. The rock door was open and the Feeder beater shaft broken so maybe it was to close but then the bottom of the feeder is reinforce with heavy steel clamps so the scales may not mean anything. I will set it and try a few buckets of corn and see how it works. Glad my livelyhood is not dependant on this wore out machine?? cleddy
 
Open the rock door and lower the cylinder til it touches the concave. Now set the scales at zero inches. If there are gaps greater than a quarter inch where the cylinder bars touch the concave, it will not do a good job. If the concave and door have been reinforced as you say, they may not fit true to the cylinder and may need replacing.

Ben
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top